What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting off the highway last night when I heard a loud howling noise. Come to find out my rear diff is making a hell of a noise and will be going into the shop on monday (the soonest they could work on it). I did check the fluid before driving it to the shop and it was black and smelled like crap (was changed at 60K jeep has 71K now).

Here come the question. If the gears are not toast and it only needs seals and bearings should I also do 4:10. I'm not planning on running 265's for at least a couple more years. Now if the gears are toast and since I have 31's should I put 3:73 back in???

Thoughts????

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember if you do the rears you have the front to do also. Just something to think about price wise

and gear lube smells like crap anytime I think....:freak3:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First thing I thought of too when reading that...lol

Do you know it's the rear diff? To quote tommudd...could be the rear u-joint. :)

Also, I've had the rear e-brake cause some noise issues on my Liberty. Just throwing some things out there to think about. Not sure what all you checked.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have trash lock?
I would have it checked but I would not waste money on
"rebuilding" an open or even trash lock rear end
I would go in for a Detroit Locker it replaces the carrier
thus negating the majority of the "rebuild" cost
install labor should be in the $300 range with you providing parts

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rode with the service advisor today. It is coming from the rear but won’t know anything until Monday sometime when a tech can get his hands on it.

I was quoted 900 for the overhaul without gears or carrier - 1800 with gears and/or carrier. wtf.gif

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rode with the service advisor today. It is coming from the rear but won’t know anything until Monday sometime when a tech can get his hands on it.

I was quoted 900 for the overhaul without gears or carrier - 1800 with gears and/or carrier. wtf.gif

from where?
Locally a rebuild is <$400 + seals and bearings and that is on an F250

$900 for a gear set and an open diff, really?
Detroit locker <$700 with bearings
quality R&P $200

so yeah for about $1500 you could have a Full case Detroit locker installed with all new gears and seals
basically a new rear diff, less the housing and shafts

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-brake.. How do I check it?

Pull off the rear tires, remove the calipers, and pull the rotors off. Check to make sure the e-brake shoes are still in place and the friction material is still on them. I had a set that apparently got over-adjusted, and wore the shoes down so far the friction material came off and was getting tumbled around inside the rotor. Caused a heck of a noise...I thought I was about to have some serious trouble.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hell the smell of gear lube makes me ***** :killit:.
unfortunately the wife doesn't think so :disgust:.

Only six months into Liberty ownership... What is the Trash-lock? My '04 Renny has a really-tight limited slip... Is that what you are all calling the trash-lock? What are the issues with it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep thats what they are talking about, don't last a long time ( or most don't) of course also most don't change their diff fluids like they should either so that could be part of the problem.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just researching it up a bit. I have over 107k on my Renegade and the tires "give" more often than not. It actually acts more often like a lincoln locker in quasi-tighter turns (under slight acceleration). I wonder if a previous owner might have thrown something else in there instead. Something tells me I'm going to be underneath it checking it out really soon.

*edit* Pretty sure the previous owner stuffed a lunchbox in there now.

Last edited:

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was the diff. The tech pulled the cover and there is a bunch of metal bits in the bottom of the housing..

I decided to go 4:10 in the front and rear since I was going to do it anyway when I got my tax refund. Maybe I'll be able to make it up hills without having to pull 3K RPM now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Break them in right and then have fun!!
So much difference no matter what some say :whip:

Latest posts

Members online