What psi do you run your tires....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering what some of you run your tires at.....I have them at 33psi right now with the OEM Goodyear Wranglers. Do you all think that's good? Want to get new AT tires, but I really need to wait until the Wranglers get some more miles on them. Only have 5000 miles on them. I do like the rugged look but also a quiet smooth ride. Do you think this a good psi for that tire? Thanks:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different tires sometimes run better on different psi. I had the Goodyear OEM ones and ran them at 33-35 pounds range. Took them off at 15,000 miles after the first winter as I didn't like the performance. Put on A/T's and have run them at 38lbs and also at 36lbs experimenting. I like the way they feel at 36lbs so that's what I am running now.

Dave

EE2

Reaction score
Stock Tires

225/75r16

First time I checked them after having 2000 miles on it they read all at 31 psi. Is that too low? I think the psi is high on this tire. my old truck was max 35 psi and they wore nicely at 33 psi. What should stock be to wear nicely and give me better mpg.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
silverfoxQuote:
Originally Posted by JLRockies
On the road: 40 PSI
Off the road: 15 PSI

Goodyear 32" MTR

:eek::eek::eek: 40????? Yikes! That sounds way too high to me!
Not to high at all,different tires need different PSI's to wear/ride correctly.He is running MT/R's,a load range "E" tire compared to your passenger car rated tires.

I run 42psi in my Trxus MT's,great ride and great wear.Now don't be running 40psi in your "P" rated tires,it will just wear out the center tread and give a harsh ride.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard tire pressure check.

draw chalk line across tire width - drive about 50-100 feet - look at chalk line - if the center is gone - pressure is too high - if the edges are gone - pressure is too low - correct and retest.

It's generally easier to air the tires up fairly high and then drop pressure about 5psi or so until you have the highest pressure where the line disappears uniformly accross the surface.
It's not unusual for front and rear to have different pressures - depending on the weight carried.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 25PSI on my tires. Chalked them and founds this to be dead on wear pattern. The bigger the tire the less air pressure you want, most people think the opposite of that. you should pay NO attention to what the MAX PSI on the tire is, you should never be that high.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 25PSI on my tires. Chalked them and founds this to be dead on wear pattern. The bigger the tire the less air pressure you want, most people think the opposite of that. you should pay NO attention to what the MAX PSI on the tire is, you should never be that high.
You will blow your tires running them at 25psi,have fun with that and make sure you or your family does not sue anybody for your stupidity.

On today's newer tires the "chualk method" does not work.Yes bigger does not mean you need more psi but a higher load range will require more psi then lower load range tires.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tires are fine at 25psi. I am not going to sue anyone for a tire malfunction becuase I am running less air than Jeep recommends. At 33psi which is recommended by jeep I was wearing the centers down. I dropped to 25psi and have about 10k on them at that pressure and they are evenly wearing, the sidewalls show no extra buldging, extra heat or any other indications that they are under inflated. When checked hot they show 29-31psi which is a 50 degree tempuraturer inside the tire, which is what should be going on. Of course that changes when towing and I bump them up to 40 in the rear and 35 in the front for that. I regularly tow 3000+ pounds on a trailer behind the jeep. With 15k on them they still have 12 out of 16/32nds of tread left, evenly across the tire. I should manage nearly 60,000 out of these tires, based on 4/32nds of tread use for every 15k. ( of course we'll never know becuase they are comming off next week)

So if they are not the victim of too much sidewall buldge/flex, which causes more heat near the shoulder of the tire, and they are not running hotter than they should near the shoulder of the tire which cuases belt to sidewall speration, and bead retention isnt an issue what is going to be the cause of this blow out?

Radial ply ratings dont stand for the number of body plies, they only stand for the strength of the tire based on the old ratings of bias tires. In fact most LT trucks only have 2 or 3 ply bodies.
So why should a Load range e tire get more air than a load range c if you arent carrying more wieght other than for bead retention, which in my case isnt an issue?

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much about a nike dunk ??every one know??

What PSI do you want up your a$$?

I hate spam.
--------------------------

I also run my 17"s @ 40. I ran my Wrangler HPs at 32 to 38 depending on the driving I would be doing. Ever since I got my Nokians, I always run no less than 38 (unless they deflate due to weather change). If they all go down at the same time, I let them be as low as 32.. Any lower, I pump back up to 38.

PS: Has anyone ever got "Pressure High" warning from their EVIC? I did... (Threshold is 44psi before it dings the hell out of you) Drive 100 miles on a hot day and you will pull over to deflate those suckers. That's why in the summer I keep them at 36 cold.

Last edited:

Latest posts