what number of miles is too too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepnaes

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about my Jeep Liberty 2010.
It has 90,00 miles and I haven’t had any important issues with it.

By the end of the year I’ll probably will return to my country. I don’t know if I’ll sell my jeep or take it with me.

With 90,000 miles, do you think that my Jeep has still a lot of life without giving me many problems?
Or is it an amount from which problems can arise?
What’s considered a lot of miles in a Liberty?

I love my Jeep and wouldn’t like to sell it, but…

Thanks for any advice,

naes

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always depends on how it was treated. Tomm's got over 200k. I'm at 125k. Others 200k+. I've seen one with 300k. I also saw one blow a rod out the block at 60k miles (clearly not treated right). So if you've had it for a while, ask yourself the question: "How did I treat it? Is it maintained?"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Times two on what has been mentioned, if you have kept all fluids changed/ done all of the regular maintenance, then it should be good for quite a while.
Another thing though to think of ( since you didn't say where home is) how hard is it to get service and Jeep parts where you are going. For example in Tanzania when I need a part for our Toyota most times it can be found easily or have it shipped within 24 hours. Jeep parts depending on what it is can be a lot longer

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always depends on how it was treated. Tomm's got over 200k. I'm at 125k. Others 200k+. I've seen one with 300k. I also saw one blow a rod out the block at 60k miles (clearly not treated right). So if you've had it for a while, ask yourself the question: "How did I treat it? Is it maintained?"

X3. If you were the original "owner" and maintained it I would say that's the best! You know exactly what to expect and how it was treated. Used vehicles are usually a shot in the dark for one that was well maintained unless you knew the original owner.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that my Liberty has been trouble-free, but it hasn't at all been problematic.

2010: Clock radio keeps losing time, never was fixed, got a new radio that gets time from GPS, problem solved.
2011: Flipper Glass leak, fixed after several attempts.
2012: Steering Rack at 72k. (or 78k, can't remember)
2012: Water Pump at the exact same time.
2014: Transmission at 83k.
2014: Wheel hub replacement, passenger side front, 93k (Kinda considering this as a maintenance item...)
2014: Power Window Switch.

The Jeep now has 99,000 miles.

Everything else has been maintenance.

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that my Liberty has been trouble-free, but it hasn't at all been problematic.

2010: Clock radio keeps losing time, never was fixed, got a new radio that gets time from GPS, problem solved.
2014: Wheel hub replacement, passenger side front, 93k (Kinda considering this as a maintenance item...)

Wow...brutal

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow I sure hope most of those were covered by warranty!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Marlon should of stuck to one of the KJs he had :icon_lol::ROFLJest::gr_grin:

jeepnaes

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have done all the basic services every 6,000 miles (not factory recommendations because it would be my ruin). I liked to see in this forum that there are jeeps with 300k, then I'll continue with mine:) thx

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I kept my last car (not a Jeep) for 16 years. Every time I thought about replacing it I thought about the fact that I knew every last thing that had ever been done for it and wondered if I would just be swapping a serviceable vehicle for someone else's problems. If you've taken care of it you have every reason to believe it will last you just as long (or longer) than anything comparable. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have done all the basic services every 6,000 miles (not factory recommendations because it would be my ruin). I liked to see in this forum that there are jeeps with 300k, then I'll continue with mine:) thx
Your not going to find many of any vehicles with 300k+ on them.You may hear about them once in awhile but in general less then 0.001% ever make it that far and those that do are not on there original engine or drivetrain in almost all cases.

There was a story awhile ago about a guy with a Volvo with 1 million+ miles but what they did not say he was on his 6th or 7th engine.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep - agreed with the others. Mine's at 250K, and it's still less expensive to make repairs than to take on another vehicle payment.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently hoping the engine will last me to at least 180k. Transmission...well something tells me I'll be onto replacement #2 soon... :(

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on 191k no major repairs just a couple of radiators, alternator,and regular maintenance.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
are you on engine #2?
I'm at 140k and I'm hoping to get at least another 50-80k

Nope, engine #1.
Have had the bank 2 head rebuilt though due to dropped heads as a result of long-ago overheating.

Keep your oil changed religiously and don't overheat it... not even a little.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wow I sure hope most of those were covered by warranty!

Steering rack wasn't.
Wheel hub wasn't.

Everything else was under warranty. KK has felt like a new vehicle since the wheel hub. 99,500 miles now... waiting on 100,000...

I still haven't replaced the window switch because I am not 100% sure it's the switch itself...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Marlon should of stuck to one of the KJs he had :icon_lol::ROFLJest::gr_grin:

Screw that, what I should have kept was my WK! (which I just recently found out was loosely based on the KJ)

56,660 miles and the only problem was a flipper glass leak similar to what happened to my KK!

...and I would still be able to park up front at work. ;)

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a reason my one car is 22 years old and has 250k miles on it and I'm the only owner.

collinkk

Reaction score
As of a couple days ago, my 2008 sport 4x4 is at 204k miles completely stock.
The biggest issue I've had so far is replacing the front brake calipers/rotors and lines when the driver side siezed closed.

Other than that, I hope to be one of those .001% someday