What is this pigtail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While changing the spark plugs in my 2003 KJ Sport (3.7L 4x4) the other day, I noticed an orphan cable taped to the top of the passenger side wheel well in my engine compartment. I took a quick pic with my phone for all to see (apologies in advance for the poor quality.) It's the plug I circled.

Anyone know what this is for?

You must be registered for see images attach

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say cruise control - I don't see the control assembly for cruise in your pic and it would be right where that plug is...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
^ What he said. Wiring harnesses in the KJ are pretty much the same whether you have X option or not. Saves money by not having to design and produce 4000 different wiring harnesses. So if you don't have X option, the wiring will probably be in your Jeep..... somewhere. I'd say that there are only about 3 or so.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, that never occurred to me since my Jeep DOES have cruise control, but it's aftermarket so I guess they didn't use the existing wiring harness.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Aftermarket cruise control? How about some pics and more info! I haven't heard of any aftermarket kits for the Liberty.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Aftermarket" Cruise Control

Installed by the dealer free of charge after my Jeep was purchased (had been advertised WITH cruise control, their mistake) Instead of being mounted on the steering wheel, the cruise controls are on a separate stick mounted on the left side of the column, below the lighting control stick. See below:

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know if it's a DC dealer kit or what, I've never seen another one like it. Works fine, though. There is one thing about it I don't like. The cruise light on the dash never comes on (never has either so I know it's not just a dead light.) Is there any way I can fix that?