what is this part---just finished ignition switch actuator pin replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Liberty Had the common broken actuator pin, I replaced it. When I pulled the broken one out parts came falling. I understand the ones that broke off the casting itself, but there is one that doesn't look like it broke off anything. I attached a couple pictures of it, it's small and metal. Is this a part that came out of the broken actuator pin assembly and is already in the new assembly that I installed? Did it come from somewhere else in the ignition? My jeep now starts fine. It's the wife's Jeep so I don't want to take any chances leaving her stranded. Any idea where this part came from? One of the pictures is of the broken actuator assembly, the other two pictures are of the part in question.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 70
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 74
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 64

jdawgl

Reaction score
Did you pull out the newly installed actuator pin and compare? I tried finding my old,broken pin but might have thrown it away.

I am checking some electrical issues around the steering column this weekend, so I'll take a look at the actuator pin again if you are still stumped. It seems I remember seeing that part seat somewhere. I might be more help this weekend.

mopar4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull out the newly installed actuator pin and compare? I tried finding my old,broken pin but might have thrown it away.

I am checking some electrical issues around the steering column this weekend, so I'll take a look at the actuator pin again if you are still stumped. It seems I remember seeing that part seat somewhere. I might be more help this weekend.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize this part until after I had everything installed so I wasn't able to compare. Everything has been working fine so far but if you can confirm that would be awesome.:waytogo:

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump thread but I did the same repair tonight and have the same part left.

I first tought it has something to do with steering wheel lock but I finally don't think so.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pin that is inside the tumbler that meshes with the key to start the vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdawgl

Reaction score
Does it fit into the old actuator? I swore it was part of the actuator assembly and not needed if you buy a new one. I could be wrong.

You must be registered for see images attach

What teeje said, but with a pretty pic.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it fit into the old actuator? I swore it was part of the actuator assembly and not needed if you buy a new one. I could be wrong.

You must be registered for see images attach

What teeje said, but with a pretty pic.

I'm not sure on the placement in the pic above but i could have sworn it was part of the pin as well.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it works without it so either it's included with the new one or the model is different and this part is integrated in the replacement I bought.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive done this repair but i cant remember where it goes. i do remember i had a hell of a time getting one tiny part back into the housing that had something to do with a spring.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Those look familiar. I'll take a look in my parts box and see if I can remember what they do/did.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Third try to post, about to smash the phone.

Wrote all this down three times so forgive grammer.

Sorry for delay, new bikes. Don't think about stealth jeep much.

The doo-dad fits into cast carrier that holds all the interlock crap to the column. Turning parts of mechanism cam it down into rectangular channel that holds interlock cable from shifter, or, lets it bump out of the way unlocking the shifter. Check your shift interlock, it might not lock. No big loss.

Posting pictures seperately, (maybe).

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
message too short

will it work

Attachments

• IMG_20160610_113229_980.jpg
    IMG_20160610_113229_980.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20160610_113252_623.jpg
    IMG_20160610_113252_623.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 24

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I'm so much used on driving my stick shift subcompact, I remove the key while still in gear a few times and to prevent an accident as the KJ can move while engaged, I finally manage to put it back there... Problem solved ;)

Latest posts

Members online