What is ‘normal’ operating temp for 2012 Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepkj2022

Reaction score
Water temp, that is?
I’ve read posts here from a person that had a 2002 that said normal was 255. Seems awfully high to me

My heater still not working well, I put in a ‘cool’ thermostat in it (184). If 255 is ‘normal’’ it’s possible it’s just not getting hot enough.
I’ve put in a new radiator & new heater core, so either of those in unlikely a problem.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, 255 is overheating! The gauge should be at 12:00 at operating temp, which is like 200-215. The middle of that gauge has a fudge factor. To know the exact temp, use a Scangauge or the Torque app.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The highest I've ever seen my KJ recently on hot days is 225F. The electric fan has to be confirmed working, to keep it cool.
Does the electric fan run fast with A/C on?
I would only recommend a Mopar 195 degree thermostat, as it has the air bleed pin built in. Trapped air not good.
Consider having the system pressure tested.

Attachments

• Autel Tp-100 shown.jpg
    Autel Tp-100 shown.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jeepkj2022

Reaction score
The highest I've ever seen my KJ recently on hot days is 225F. The electric fan has to be confirmed working, to keep it cool.
Does the electric fan run fast with A/C on?
I would only recommend a Mopar 195 degree thermostat, as it has the air bleed pin built in. Trapped air not good.
Consider having the system pressure tested.
I do have the Scan gauge: my fWt says 206 degrees at hottest. Seems I may need to put a hotter therm in.
I will take note of the Mopar therm with the air bleed pin: I have heard of trapped air being a problem. Any other way to make sure air is out of system? Appreciate it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Pressure test it. Use only Mopar Hoat coolant or Zerex G05 only.
This is the only way to guarantee that it hold pressure with no leaks/ air is entering system.

Latest posts

Members online