What engine to put in my KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj3waker

Reaction score
I have an 06 KJ I've owned since nearly new. Lost the head gasket at 160k. I haven't pulled anything apart but I think I did more damage than just the head gasket. With the prices of current vehicles, the cost of a head gasket replacement (that might not even be a complete fix), and the fact that I have nearly new OME suspension on there, I think I am just gonna opt for a complete engine replacement

What would you guys do? Buy an ebay one? Get a jasper? I don't think there are any cool motor swaps going into KJs are there?

Anyways, let me know what you guys think I should do

Thanks,
Chris

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went for a Jasper on mine 100K ago and never looked back. It has always run smoother and with a little more power than the original. My original motor spun a rod bearing at 86K, and had made suspicious noises for years before. Just passed 186K today on the Jeep, towing a trailer to Minnesota and back. The “new” motor runs like a champ.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 KJ I've owned since nearly new. Lost the head gasket at 160k. I haven't pulled anything apart but I think I did more damage than just the head gasket. With the prices of current vehicles, the cost of a head gasket replacement (that might not even be a complete fix), and the fact that I have nearly new OME suspension on there, I think I am just gonna opt for a complete engine replacement

What would you guys do? Buy an ebay one? Get a jasper? I don't think there are any cool motor swaps going into KJs are there?

Thanks,
Chris
If your keeping it for long term and it is acceptable I would go with a Jasper engine. Otherwise, I would buy a used one from LKQ or something and install it. I'm sure others will comment soon.

Barbie

Reaction score
Went for a Jasper on mine 100K ago and never looked back. It has always run smoother and with a little more power than the original. My original motor spun a rod bearing at 86K, and had made suspicious noises for years before. Just passed 186K today on the Jeep, towing a trailer to Minnesota and back. The “new” motor runs like a ch
I have 150,000 on my 02 and she is running great. For the future what is a Jasper engine?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

They remanufacture engines and fix their major design flaws in the process. It is more expensive to put in a Jasper engine than a junkyard motor, but you get a 3 year 100k mile warranty that covers not only parts but the labor also.

My Jasper engine in 2014:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

KortniJo-eep

Reaction score

Thanks,
Chris

a 6.0 Stand alone fuel injected

JMichael2006

Reaction score

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

I have seen CRD's replaced with the Cummins R2.8 which is so superior to the VM 2.8.

cj3waker

Reaction score
Jasper is months out no ETA. I will call powertrainproducts tomorrow as theyre closed?

Anyone heard of Xp precision? couldn't find much for reviews

I should have clarified, this is for a 3.7 V6 powertech, not the CRD

JMichael2006

Reaction score
As a fuelly, Jasper has been my choice for years when I didn't have time to do it myself. I was looking at Powertrain Products for a transmission and impressed with their rebuild processes. They have good ratings and comments.

Latest posts

Members online