what do you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ms5490renegade, May 6, 2008.

1. ms5490renegade

ms5490renegade Banned

what line of work are you in? i want to see if there is a relation between what job you have and liberty owners and offroading

2. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

I work for National Government Services. Our parent company is Wellpoint. NGS is contracted by The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to handle Medicare reimbursement on behalf of the government. We have claims people, etc etc.

I am in Provider Audit. Hospitals and other health care providers have to submit an annual report (think of it as a HUGE tax report - 20 pages to 300 pages, depending on the provider's complexity) and I audit those statistics and figures to arrive at a reimbursement level for the year. My employer cuts a check to the hospital on behalf of the government.

So, all you US taxpayers - you essentially bought my KJ for me! ;)

3. MoladoGuy

MoladoGuy Full Access Member

I work for Cadence Innovation who is an auto supplier for GM/Chrysler/Nissan. The company itself has grown through many changes, more obviously is that we were once called Venture Industries until the downturn of our economic vehicle sales began hindering the companies financial gains. We were then devoured into an investment firm who, over the past couple years, has breathed life into the organization by spending lots of $$$. Now we are heading in a great direction, with multiple program launches coming up for the 2009 Model Year.

I am a Manufacturing IT Systems Integrator and we develop automated systems for plant floor production error proofing. We also build and maintain real time reporting structures for managerial reports throughout the organization (mainly corporate). This is the year of IT for our company and we have been pretty much pointed at as a main holder of the new business strategy this organization is looking to achieve. I even got people saying our IT mission statement:
    "Simplify, Automate, Integrate"

4. timmer

timmer Full Access Member

I work for Christie Digital.

We started making movie projectors over 75 years ago and now lead the industry in digital cinema. I've worked on old Italian 35mm projectors to the latest state of the art offerings. I also delve in theatre sound systems, content delivery (digital movies), and control room displays.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Our North American customers include AMC, Cineplex Entertainment, Empire, Deluxe Sound and Picture, Ex-Centris, Paramount Parks, Science North, Technicolor, Theatre D Digital, Allen Theatres, Carmike, Celebration!, Century, Cinema West, CineSite, Cinetopia, Clearview Ziegfeld, Crest, Crown Theatres, Dickinson, Digital Cinema Laboratory - USC/ETC, Digital Domain, E-Film Digital Laboratories, Emagine, Galaxy, Goodrich Quality Theaters, Hallett Cinemas, Harkins Theatres, HD Vision Studios, Industrial Light & Magic, Integrity/Tropicana Resorts/Aztar Corp., JAZZ at Lincoln Center, Kerasotes Showplace Theatres, Krikorian, LaserPacific Media Corporation, Liberty Science Center, Loews Cineplex Entertainment, Mann Theatres, Marquee Cinemas, MJR Theatres, Modern Video Film, MOPA, National Amusements, NCG Cinemas, Pacifc Theatres, Pacific Title, Panasonic Hollywood Laboratories, Panavision, Paramount Parks, Paramount Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, PlasterCity, R/C Theatres, Rave Motion Pictures, RealD, Regal Entertainment Group, Showplace Cinemas, Sony Pictures Image Works, Sound Services Inc. (SSI), Technicolor Complete Post, Technicolor Creative Services, Technicolor Digital Cinema, Technicolor Digital Intermediate, Technique, Time Warner Executive Screening Room, UltraStar Cinemas.

It's a pretty cool job!

5. VTNomad

VTNomad Full Access Member

My Job

I'm an environmental scientist (not a hippie environmentalist) and work for a small soil and groundwater remediation company. I am contracted out by trucking insurance companies and do work all over the country. The majority of my work involves cleaning up tanker truck spills, mainly diesel and gasoline, but I've also cleaned up beer, wine and molasses, amongst other things.

There are several different methods to cleaning up contaminated soil and groundwater. The methods vary from site to site depending on local physical and chemical conditions, local regulations and client preference. Some clients want the slower cheaper approach, some want the quicker and more expensive method and some go with a combination method that balances spped and price.

My work isn't steady, sometimes I can work 120 hours a week, and sometimes I can go two or three weeks without work. Work tends to be busier in the winter when roads conditions deteriorate. So, when I haven't been busy enough for my needs, I try to work odd jobs on the side. I'm a ski and bicycle mechanic, I also build computers, install home theaters and do general handyman work.

6. scull20

scull20 Full Access Member

In college, going for mechanical engineering at Penn State. On break and during the summer I deliver food for a local grill (Hot Dogs, Hamburgers etc.) by me. Tips are enough to cover gas, and I get paid by the hour as well. I also work in a shop making concrete stones for facing houses with.

-Ryan

7. beartard

beartard Full Access Member

I'm a commercial electrician. Still procrastinating taking the few classes I have left to get my teacher's certificate to teach English to speakers of other languages.

8. kjfan18

kjfan18 Full Access Member

I am a communications tech for Comcast. I Install Cable, internet, and phone too. I also do businesses lines of service too.

9. Marlon_JB2

Marlon_JB2 Kombat Edition Jeep

Heh, you like your job? It sounds like a piece of cake. Only thing is... going in people's homes. Bah. Seeing their junk, watching guys beat their wives, etc.

10. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

Plumbing / Fire Protection Designer

11. kjfan18

kjfan18 Full Access Member

Yah its not bad, but like you said some peoples homes are really dirty. Nice thiing is that I dont have to drive my liberty to work, it sits in the garage most of the time. I really only need to put gas once a month in it.:)

12. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

I wrench(mechanic) for a living,I aslo know the body work/painting side also.I've turned wrenches for the Marines,Army,a GM/Jeep dealership,and so-on,real fun with 7.62mm rounds whizzing by your head:D.I also help out with basic fabbing and anything else needed for Rock Lizard Fab when I have time.

13. 501

501 Full Access Member

I'm a site designer/ Cad operator for a local Civil Engineering/ Land Surveying company. I design Residential and commercial subdivisions, storm & sanitary sewer systems, roads and site designs for stores and malls, etc. One way I describe it is, I draw pictures all day and they pay me for it!

14. ms5490renegade

ms5490renegade Banned

thanks so far guys. most of you do some thing with computers. tjkj i already pictured you as a mechanic or car design. you know as much as the people who work on these for a living

15. LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath Full Access Member

Hmm, and which part of the country was this in. Los Angeles or NY.:D

16. beartard

beartard Full Access Member

He gets you to take a day off and wait for him in a window from 12-5. Then you get a call at 6:30 to reschedule for next month some time ;)

17. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

nice a fellow drafstman.....

at least u get to draw pictures, i just put dots and connect them w/ lines...:D

18. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

:D:D:D

No that was in Iraq and Afganistan where the rounds would fly by real close.

19. Jeepman56

Jeepman56 Full Access Member

I am a full time student at the University of Wisconsin Green Bay with a major in Biology and minor in Natural Sciences. I am hoping this will bring me into alternative energy/fuel sources. For a part time job I am a manager at Titletown Brewing Company, a microbrewery :D and restaurant. Hiring, firing, scheduling, that sort of thing.

20. HIM_Tattoos

HIM_Tattoos New Member

I work for a Telecommunications company (One Communications), will be attending UW Green Bay shortly for Microbiology and in September I will be traveling to the Siebel Institute of Technology to take their Brewmaster course (brew beer)