Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costco/Sam's Club Supplier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grocery Store Supplier

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other (Not Listed)

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've been noticing which gas stations I go to and which fuel I think runs the best in the Jeep. I'm not sure of the scientific rationale, but I'm positive there are some that are better than others. For me, I've found 87 octane from QT runs the best. Any one else have any favorites?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter,there fuel is all from the same place anyways with just a few chemicals added for each brand name.Also how old the gas station is and how they maintain there tanks plays a major role also.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Race Track....and have for years. Sam's club gas always gives me issues....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunoco is my favorite and the KJ and also the car seems to run smoother on it but we don't have many choices around here as far as brand names go. Not sure if it is my imagination or not but at least I know what I bought. The KJ seems to also do a little better on gas mileage with it.....but just a little..........

We have pleanty of no-name places and I rarely use them.

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
What ever is the cheapest and closest at the time is good with me, since most of the fuel around these parts only come from a couple of refineries anyway.

Back in the maritimes, where I am from, people would swear by a certain brand "x" fuel...if they only knew it all came from Irving Oil anyway.....people are too funny. :D

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most all of our fuel is processed at a lets say central location then delivered to branded companies to which they place additives which in turn gives the result that you get...But it all comes from the same place...I might try the Shell because of the nitrogen., I want to see how that reacts with the Libby

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...
Now lets stir the pot and talk about add off the shelf fuel additives.
Anybody use those as well?
I don't, I don't see the point in it, but I'm interested to hear if
others use anything that "work".

Used to, but then realized that I was using Chevron Techron, which would seem to be the same thing that is in their gasoline anyways, so I don't anymore. As for the gas coming from the same place, I do realize that, however, I think those slight variances could make a difference and also some brands seem to maintain more modern stations (which would make me think more modern holding tanks for better gas).

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Used to, but then realized that I was using Chevron Techron, which would seem to be the same thing that is in their gasoline anyways, so I don't anymore. As for the gas coming from the same place, I do realize that, however, I think those slight variances could make a difference and also some brands seem to maintain more modern stations (which would make me think more modern holding tanks for better gas).

I'd agree with you there.
I used Chevron for a while because I was given a $500.00 gift card. But our Jeep goes through it like water!
With shell I manage to get an easy 10% more mileage.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with you there.
I used Chevron for a while because I was given a $500.00 gift card. But our Jeep goes through it like water!
With shell I manage to get an easy 10% more mileage.

We don't have either Chevron or Shell here. But I was in Vermont one day and they have Shell stations there and I tried a tank of the Shell with Nitrogen and it didn't do diddley as far as I could tell. Someone with a local Shell station near them needs to try a couple of tanks and see if it (the nitrogen additive) is just marketing bs or what and report back to us.

Socks, does your Shell up in Canada have the Nitrogen in it???

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We don't have either Chevron or Shell here. But I was in Vermont one day and they have Shell stations there and I tried a tank of the Shell with Nitrogen and it didn't do diddley as far as I could tell. Someone with a local Shell station near them needs to try a couple of tanks and see if it (the nitrogen additive) is just marketing bs or what and report back to us.

Socks, does your Shell up in Canada have the Nitrogen in it???

Dave

Yes, they just started advertising it on TV not to long ago.
I guess it's more marketing BS then anything.
Considering that when the gas stations tanks get filled there is still an amount of the non-Nitrogen enriched gasoline left over. I figure that on Friday when I go to fill up all the Gerry cans and KJ it will be the real deal and my tank will be down below a 1/4 tank and I'll log four or five tanks and see if I notice anything "special".

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrogen?? How much more Nitrogen do you need? The air you ram into the intake has 79% Nitrogen as it is.....:p

78% Nitrogen 21% oxygen 1% inirt gas take it from a SCUBA Diver

Shell is scientificly the best. All their octaines are cleaner and the additives are based strictly on science not based on selling half gallon gas quarter gallon detergents and quarter gallon water and trying to make billions in proffit

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shell says their 93 oct will clean your engine after 5000 miles of strait contius use. Ive been using it for 1000 miles now. I just read our kj nee 87 or 89 i didnt notice anything after 1/5 of their recamendation but im going to down grade to 89 bc manual says higher is harmful. Im going to use Lucas fuel treatment in every tank from now on. Im about to switch to full synthetic oil with lucas synth stabilizer if i can afford lucas synth oil i will buy it. I want to use a K&N oil filter as well i think that and the Shell 89 will pep her right up. My kj uses the shell like water but i think its bc they use five times the amount of govt req detergents so five times less "gas" per gallon buts supposed to be whats best for the engine and atmosphere and not our wallets right?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shell says their 93 oct will clean your engine after 5000 miles of strait contius use. Ive been using it for 1000 miles now. I just read our kj nee 87 or 89 i didnt notice anything after 1/5 of their recamendation but im going to down grade to 89 bc manual says higher is harmful. Im going to use Lucas fuel treatment in every tank from now on. Im about to switch to full synthetic oil with lucas synth stabilizer if i can afford lucas synth oil i will buy it. I want to use a K&N oil filter as well i think that and the Shell 89 will pep her right up. My kj uses the shell like water but i think its bc they use five times the amount of govt req detergents so five times less "gas" per gallon buts supposed to be whats best for the engine and atmosphere and not our wallets right?
Adding fuel additives every tank full beyond what is already in the gas will kill your O2 sensors and cats,both are not cheap.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Lucas says its safe for every tank but ill look into it. Will suspend all fuel treatment untill research complete. Ill report back with findings. Also while on topic: does anyone else heave this problem? Almost everytime i fill it the gas pours out the top. I have to hold it just right and pump slow and stop as soon as it clicks otherwise it runs down paint and plastic. I hate it so bad it gets me so pissed. I might as well buy a cup of gas and just dump it down my freshly waxed paint.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to always be a buzzkill, but I have never noticed a difference in fuel no matter where I buy it. I buy my gas at safeway because it has the best price and is on my way to work. I don't drive out of my way to save a few cents on gas because you almost always lose money doing that. However, performance wise, the only thing I'm noticing lately is my mileage has gone up slightly, and I'm attributing it to warmer weather.

Latest posts

Members online