What am I looking at here..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed this today. Can someone tell me what this bolt secures and if replacing the torn washer/gasket shown is relatively easy to do?

Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the steering rack bushing driver's side rubber is falling apart.
I can't remember how many times my bushings have been replaced now.
Before any oil changes I now use lots of duct tape to cover that bushing as Oil etc causes rubber to break down.
Napa has the part & I show a picture of it here, they have to be pressed out/in.
Can be fun, I let the shop do them up on the lift, but they can be done at home...
See this link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/steering-rack-bushing-replacement-50363/

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the steering rack bushing driver's side rubber is falling apart.
I can't remember how many times my bushings have been replaced now.
Before any oil changes I now use lots of duct tape to cover that bushing as Oil etc causes rubber to break down.
Napa has the part & I show a picture of it here, they have to be pressed out/in.
Can be fun, I let the shop do them up on the lift, but they can be done at home...
See this link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/steering-rack-bushing-replacement-50363/
Thanks! You had me at "pressed in/out". Shop it is! I have no time to tackle this right now. I am losing it chasing a squeak that arrived with the last brake change I did. Trying to get my new shoes on as the tires are shot....all while driving it daily. School starting up and with 3 drivers and 2 cars leaves us with no down time. Still, Blessed to have both cars running.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens a lot on the drivers side bushing, between oil change mess dripping down, and the almost always weeping power steering hoses right above, give it enough years and that bushing always disintegrates.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I have both bushings changed at the same time?