Well it happened...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maynard

Reaction score
Hey all...

My Daughter got pitted entering the express way by another driver... She hit ice and the other girl early merged behind her... She is OK so thank goodness for that!!! The jeep kept her safe... It spun her her 180 into a ditch... Here is the kicker... I put PLPD on the vehicle so the repairs are mine to deal with... The rear on the driver side is my biggest concern. I think the rest can be worked out... (Grill, bumper can be repaired and secured... Doors on the passenger side seem like I can pull them out... Glass replacement.. ) the rear driver side is really crumpled... anyone done this type of work they can give me a heads up on? I was able to drive it back from the tow storage after the storm cleared....

Attachments

• IMG_3979.JPG
    IMG_3979.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3984.JPG
    IMG_3984.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 31

maynard

Reaction score
Grab a picture lower on the drivers side and more just on rear door
Will do... I have a few pics I'll attach but they are not back far enough to assess the dmg... Its a lot of rust on the rocker panel...

Attachments

• IMG_3987.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3985.JPG
    IMG_3985.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 23

maynard

Reaction score
We went back to the crash location and got as many parts as we could.... Fender sections, turn signal light etc... rear view mirror... my daughter after the crash actually had enough composure to go collect them and put them on the side of the freeway after calling the police... Amazing kid!

maynard

Reaction score
@tommudd Let me know if there is a specific view you are looking for... These are just close ups of the impact point and the panel with the door open.... Was thinking just replace the whole door on that side...

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score
Hey all...

My Daughter got pitted entering the express way by another driver... She hit ice and the other girl early merged behind her... She is OK so thank goodness for that!!! The jeep kept her safe... It spun her her 180 into a ditch... Here is the kicker... I put PLPD on the vehicle so the repairs are mine to deal with... The rear on the driver side is my biggest concern. I think the rest can be worked out... (Grill, bumper can be repaired and secured... Doors on the passenger side seem like I can pull them out... Glass replacement.. ) the rear driver side is really crumpled... anyone done this type of work they can give me a heads up on? I was able to drive it back from the tow storage after the storm cleared....
Just drive it like it is. My old 94 ZJ was rolled on my sons ski trip in 2007. We put in a new windshield, crowbarred the hood and fender apart, pounded the roof up and removed the roof rack. 13 years later and she is still going

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear your daughter is safe and OK. Not the first story I have heard of a Liberty protecting a young driver.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do... I have a few pics I'll attach but they are not back far enough to assess the dmg... Its a lot of rust on the rocker panel...
With all the rust I see , it's going to take a lot to bring it back
But if main frame rails / pinch points are still good , I would beat down where it is hitting at , pull out any dents you can and run it
On this one if you start replacing parts , it may go into one thing after another

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If finances and space allow, can you buy another Lib and use what you have there for parts? With the all the dents, glass damage and rot, it seems like it's not worth the trouble.

maynard

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments I appreciate it! Took it up to the local body shop to get their opinion... They said I should just take it as a loss and see what you can get out of it. The unibody frame pinch welds are rotted through and they said the money I am was gonna put back into it isn't worth the result.

Was thinking about parting it out. But this is something I have never done. So pulling the engine even with it having 78k on it may not be worth it. Not sure what I would get from a scrap sell...

I'm not a body guy but I believe that is the b pillar that is kicked in which is throwing the door off... I did hammer down the rear door opening to get it closed and get the door ajar lights off...

But looking at the forth pic... I'm thinking find something newer....

Attachments

• IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 6

maynard

Reaction score
@tommudd The chassis is good there is little to no rust on that surprising to me but the cross members have a lot of scaling and rust... and the pinch welds in sections are shot... I haven't taken off all the plastic **** that is on there but I would assume I would find more the more I dig....

maynard

Reaction score
If finances and space allow, can you buy another Lib and use what you have there for parts? With the all the dents, glass damage and rot, it seems like it's not worth the trouble.
I agree... If I had the storage I would maybe just keep it pull it off insurance and use it as a learning car (welding, bodywork pulls etc).... Been wanting to take up welding... but wife would have a fit... And happy wife happy life... So thinking this is probably not in my best interest...