Welding question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily Jeep related, but I wanted to start messing around and learning how to Mig weld, so im getting things together and realized i dont have a metal welding table, or much room for one. I have a plastic table like this one
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/images/product/WDR/811/WDR8110720K_0.jpg, wondering if this can be used instead? anyone with welding experience let me know what i can do. Thanks!

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use that to get started, it will develop pin holes from weld splatter, and it won't be strong enough to clamp pieces to. Can you at least get a sheet of tin to cover it with? I rarely actually weld on my steel bench, usually on a vehicle.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will quickly discover that you want a heavy-duty metal table with a thick plate top...makes alignment much easier

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a GREAT welding table if you need something portable and able to be stored out of the way. I would love to have a large dedicated welding table in the shop.. OH wait I do, BUT because most of us are not welding daily, and that BIG, FLAT, BARE spot is just so inviting, I'd need to move a lot of crap to get to it. :)

Adjustable Steel Welding Table
They are the same table sold by StrongHand as the Nomad for 2-3 times the price.
The only difference I have found is the Nomad has adjustable height. The rest of the parts interchange.

They do have an optional extension table BUT it's the same price as buying the complete table from HF. Set them side by side and use a couple clamps if you need more room.

I have 4 of them myself. I've had 2-4 all clamped together depending on the need (4 work real good with an MDF top as a beer pong table !!

Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a piece of sheet metal, good idea. A specific gauge i should go with?

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a piece of sheet metal, good idea. A specific gauge i should go with?

Won't really matter. You just want to protect the plastic. I wouldn't even set the welder on that table, but just to have a platform to practice and learn on, it will suffice. I don't think it will support a vise, but you could get by with a couple 2x4's nailed together to clamp metal to, again, just to get a feel for welding.
You will need a decent steel table of some type, and a vise, sooner or later, watch craigslist for one.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I have a plastic table like this one...

I have a 6' table just like that one as my main computer table. I have a 27" monitor and two 25" monitors mounted to it using adjustable arms. To support the extra weight I bought a pair of steel strips at the hardware store, 6' long, 3" wide, and 1/4" thick. I put one along the top edge of the table and the other directly below it on the bottom side. It spreads the weight out and keeps the table from bowing and bending. Do that and you could clamp something fairly substantial to it. Add in the sheet metal and you could probably handle most small-to-medium jobs.

On the other hand, by the time you buy all that stuff you might be coming close to spending as much as the $80 table SWilliams suggested. ;)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you plan on welding, constructing a project? I usually weld on the floor, and use metal blocks (heavy 4"x4") for shoring/holding. A table might be nice, but that's one more thing I'd have to store. More of the welding I do seems to be on a vehicle instead of off anyway. If you go with the H.F. table, don't forget your 20% coupon, which makes it a $64 deal.