Weird smell....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since the water pump was replaced on the KJ we've been noticing a weird smell coming from it. The only way I can describe it is that it smells like skunk. (blarg) But, I haven't seen any of the foul-smelling creatures and it doesn't smell until the motor gets warm.

Could it be from left over coolant burning off from when the engine over heated and the entire engine compartment was soaked? It's been a couple weeks since the water pump was replaced, but it only started smelling soon after.

Any ideas?

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i am a tech but something you said doesnt sound kosher, you said you over heated and there was coolant all over the place?? did they check the motor to make sure you did not blow a head or something. the smell your smelling is the antifreeze that got all over your motor all you have to do is go to a autozone or your nearest autoparts store and get a can of engine degreaser and go to the car wash and clean it up. very easy the dealer should have done that for you, how mny miles you have by the way

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i am a tech but something you said doesnt sound kosher, you said you over heated and there was coolant all over the place?? did they check the motor to make sure you did not blow a head or something. the smell your smelling is the antifreeze that got all over your motor all you have to do is go to a autozone or your nearest autoparts store and get a can of engine degreaser and go to the car wash and clean it up. very easy the dealer should have done that for you, how mny miles you have by the way

There's probably been a couple hundred miles on it since the water pump replacement. My wife drives it about 400 miles a week, so I thought that would have been plenty of time for it to burn off whatever was on the motor.

And, I thought about washing down motor, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it. I know I should cover the electronics, but still a bit gun-shy about hosing it down. But, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks guys!