Weird problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I had the jeep aligned and tires rotated. I noticed the wheel isn't straight when I'm accelerating but when I let off the gas I can feel (I guess the body) straighten back out when I let off the gas. Rear upper control arm and shocks are new. I'm assuming lower control arms? It feels like it's coming from the rear. It's not really a jerk but a swaying motion. Let's say I'm driving straight and just cruising and I give it a quick blip with the throttle my steering wheel will turn left and the body kinda sways a bit. Kinda hard to explain. You can't feel any movement. No jerks or anything. Drives straight, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some what of a similar experience like you. don't know whether it is a tell tale sign.
Shop tech who extracted my stuck TF case fill plug found a bad outer tie rod end.
Was good after that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never checked. Good tell tale sign that they're bad?

Jack up by the LCA and look for play at 9 and 3 o'clock. Any play there means inners are bad. For the outers try rotating them by hand.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I had the jeep aligned and tires rotated. I noticed the wheel isn't straight when I'm accelerating but when I let off the gas I can feel (I guess the body) straighten back out when I let off the gas. Rear upper control arm and shocks are new. I'm assuming lower control arms? It feels like it's coming from the rear. It's not really a jerk but a swaying motion. Let's say I'm driving straight and just cruising and I give it a quick blip with the throttle my steering wheel will turn left and the body kinda sways a bit. Kinda hard to explain. You can't feel any movement. No jerks or anything. Drives straight, etc etc.

Its the rear lower control arms

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't look hard to me, might not even have to jack it up to do them. Just remember to have it on the ground before putting the final torque on them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to change would you say?

Not hard at all, left side takes 10 minutes maybe, right side a little longer due to muffler, I just have extra bolts ready and cut the old one and install the new one in from the other direction

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard at all, left side takes 10 minutes maybe, right side a little longer due to muffler, I just have extra bolts ready and cut the old one and install the new one in from the other direction

I just took a look at everything all bushings are fine nothing is rubbing together, it's weird. It feels like heavy torque steer. I'm not sure if it's because of my reman (they told me the pistons are 20over) I dont remember the specs exactly and I never noticed it until I got it aligned. Maybe I'm just being nit picky

Latest posts

Members online