Weird front end noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my KK just over a month ago. We have had a lot of rain, snow, and Ice recently and now that it has started clearing up I am noticing a front end noise. From what I can tell it seems to be coming from the passenger side. It starts at about 25mph and goes away around 65 mph. It seems to be louder when I am coasting or slight acceleration and deceleration. It starts out like a wheel being out of balance or a bearing noise, but starts to sound like a washing machine out of balance but with some metallic clunks thrown in. I tried to test the hub bearing by jacking the Jeep up by the lower control arm and pushing on the wheel side to side and it seems pretty tight. Also rocked top and bottom and was tight too. I am thinking it may be the CV axle on that side. Has anyone had any problems with theirs? It seems to have a lot of free play. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks.
[YT]pyMn97zEbFs[/YT]

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid of. Im guessing I should do that intermediate shaft too while im in there. Has anyone had this same failure on the KK?? or one with only 44k miles on it?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid of. Im guessing I should do that intermediate shaft too while im in there. Has anyone had this same failure on the KK?? or one with only 44k miles on it?

Check with a Jeep dealer, it MAY still be under a warranty. Never know.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it used a month ago. I think it had a 30 day 1,000 mile from them. Way past that. If it had any remaining factory is that automatically transferred?

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? I PM'd Eric last night, and was wondering if anyone else may cary them or have a PN so I can search or cross reference them. Anyone have a diagram and torque specs? If not I assume its similar to the KJ? I'm pretty sure they are both variants of the D30.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? I PM'd Eric last night, and was wondering if anyone else may cary them or have a PN so I can search or cross reference them. Anyone have a diagram and torque specs? If not I assume its similar to the KJ? I'm pretty sure they are both variants of the D30.

For the KJ the remanned cvs at NAPA are the best. Maybe they have the same for KKs or maybe they're the same. Need to find out; hopefully a KKer will chime in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I bought it used a month ago. I think it had a 30 day 1,000 mile from them. Way past that. If it had any remaining factory is that automatically transferred?
No but that is why I said to check with a Jeep dealer, they can figure this out for you, to see if a transferable warranty exists on the vehicle.... or if they know a way around the system. Heard of that happening too. Just call or go, give them the VIN and ask them if there's any warranties on the vehicle.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I called the selling dealership (not a jeep dealership btw) and they said they may be able to replace it under warranty. He said it should have had a 3k mile warranty and I am at 2800. I will find out later today.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After playing phone tag for the day, the manager of used car relations has promised me that whatever it takes it will be taken care of. I do not have to take it to the dealership I bought it from(which is about an hour the other direction from my house then anywhere I normally go.) I explained to him that I was 150 miles from being out of wty and he says it wont matter because I called it in before hand. So now I have made an appointment at the dealer close to my work and gave them all the wty information. I drop her off monday morning.:party36:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After playing phone tag for the day, the manager of used car relations has promised me that whatever it takes it will be taken care of. I do not have to take it to the dealership I bought it from(which is about an hour the other direction from my house then anywhere I normally go.) I explained to him that I was 150 miles from being out of wty and he says it wont matter because I called it in before hand. So now I have made an appointment at the dealer close to my work and gave them all the wty information. I drop her off monday morning.:party36:

Just curious if you got this fixed and what they replaced. Funny thing is that I think mine may be going down this path too. I'd just like to know what they did/replaced to fix it. Let us know please!!!! Thanks!! Was this the right or left?

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating everyone. It has been fixed. The Pass side CV was shot. I looked and could not see and tears in the boot or anything so its root cause has yet to be determined. I was able to keep the originals and when I have time I will take it apart and check it out. They changed both the intermediate shaft and the cv. There was also a seal they changed. It was done through the WTY but there was a $100 deductable and the seal was not covered. Had nothing been covered it looks like it would have been about a $600 job at the dealership. Luckily the selling dealership decided to eat the cost and cut me a check so there was no out of pocket expense for me. At the time, I looked around at local part stores to see who could get the cv and no had them in stock.

I am at work, but could post some more pics/vids of the old one when I get home if you need.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating everyone. It has been fixed. The Pass side CV was shot. I looked and could not see and tears in the boot or anything so its root cause has yet to be determined. I was able to keep the originals and when I have time I will take it apart and check it out. They changed both the intermediate shaft and the cv. There was also a seal they changed. It was done through the WTY but there was a $100 deductable and the seal was not covered. Had nothing been covered it looks like it would have been about a $600 job at the dealership. Luckily the selling dealership decided to eat the cost and cut me a check so there was no out of pocket expense for me. At the time, I looked around at local part stores to see who could get the cv and no had them in stock.

I am at work, but could post some more pics/vids of the old one when I get home if you need.

Thank you very much! That's what we need. Too many hanging posts IMO. Mine has just started to wiggle a little bit. Starting a new post so I don't hijack this one any more than I already have. Thanks. Oh, and sure we all love pics!!! :freak3::freak3:

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40K Mile followup

Well life has gotten in the way of being active on the forums, but I figured I would chime in on this and get some opinions.

The dealership replaced the inner shaft and the CV just over a year and a half (~40k miles), and its back to making noises again! My Liberty is not lifted and I cannot see any tears in the boot. I think the slop and noise is coming from that joint between the CV and the intermediate shaft. The dealership parts only had a 12 month 12k mile warranty, so that doesn't help. I'm 80k miles in to a 2008 Liberty and going to be on the second replacement set of CV and shaft set.

Has anyone else seen this kind of failures? Since it won't be done under warranty I will do it myself. I can find the CV at the local auto parts store with a limited lifetime warranty, but the intermediate shaft is a little harder to track down. Anyone know of a place other then my local stealership that wants $120 for a part that they have replaced and didn't last more than 18 months.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intermediate shaft is by spicer.
LOST JEEPS • View topic - The part they don't want you to know about... Spicer #84270

Well life has gotten in the way of being active on the forums, but I figured I would chime in on this and get some opinions.

The dealership replaced the inner shaft and the CV just over a year and a half (~40k miles), and its back to making noises again! My Liberty is not lifted and I cannot see any tears in the boot. I think the slop and noise is coming from that joint between the CV and the intermediate shaft. The dealership parts only had a 12 month 12k mile warranty, so that doesn't help. I'm 80k miles in to a 2008 Liberty and going to be on the second replacement set of CV and shaft set.

Has anyone else seen this kind of failures? Since it won't be done under warranty I will do it myself. I can find the CV at the local auto parts store with a limited lifetime warranty, but the intermediate shaft is a little harder to track down. Anyone know of a place other then my local stealership that wants $120 for a part that they have replaced and didn't last more than 18 months.

dsmmrm

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this kind of failures? .

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My 08 has 144000 on it and the only things that have broken so far have been the 2 transfer lines on the power steering gear. I had to buy an entire steering gear (salvage) to harvest those lines so I was a tad unhappy but other than that the thing has been quite reliable.

I bought mine new with the lifetime powertrain warranty so in theory the CV joints should still be covered. Anyone try to get a high mileage repair done under that warranty yet?

Members online

No members online now.