Water pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first.
New noise started the other day, Initially throught was AC compressor clutch. Checked pulley and swaped out the new tensioner for the old one I removed less then year ago, noise persists.

Checked water pump and theirs a less then ideal amount of play in that.

Found read understood
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-replace-3-7l-waterpump-44066/

Summary says to pull lower rad hose to drain, Is the thermostat recomended to be replaced same time?

If not and I just remove the pump, how much 50 50 mix coolant is required to top it back up. Had a flush not that long ago and much less then the 5 years on the coolant thats in it.

Also, why are people RTV'ing the pump face given the oring style gasket?

Last edited:

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think i ever changed my thermostat........ but i have always removed the lower hose to get as much coolant out. maybe siphon the reservoir as well. makes removing the waterpump less messy. never tried just pulling the waterpump. goggles people!

for replacing coolant, unscrew the large hex screw up at the upper hose/engine side to let air out. pour in new coolant per step 14. massage the upper hose to help get air out. easier when the hose is warm.

not sure if RTV makes much of a difference. think this is the only place that recommended putting it on. may not put it on the next round.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously no expert, considering the issues I've been having, but drain the radiator first. Easier to catch in a pan. When you pull the bottom hose the stuff is going to gush from radiator AND block. Because hopefully your thermostat is open. And I'd change that while the system is drained anyway. Think the mopar manual says use RTV, but I didn't.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For the price of a new Mopar Thermostat, I would replace it, while the lower rad hose is off.
Owners manual states 14 quarts for Hoat (G05) coolant requirements.
FSM states to use a gasket.
Quality of replacement pump: TrueFlow (Napa) water pumps seem to do the best according to Troy. Mopar or Gates next.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to have alot of stuff already taken aparts. Midas well throw a new thermostat in. As a previous poster stated drain the radiator that will drain some of whats in the reservoir and make it a little less messy. I did not use rtv and have had no problems.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an "o-ring" seal, you're not posed to use a sealant with those.
Not surprisingly, the FSM makes no mention of using RTV either.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an "o-ring" seal, you're not posed to use a sealant with those.
Not surprisingly, the FSM makes no mention of using RTV either.
I use a little RTV if the timing cover is a little corroded where the WP seal sits from neglected cooling systems.Will not hurt anything eitherway just a little extra insurance it will not leak.

Latest posts

Members online