Water Pump leak question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
Had my overflow hose pop off my radiator tank and lost some coolant...

Noticed what I believe to be leaking around my water pump...

Can low coolant cause more pressure in the system because of air allowing the water to boil and build more pressure, which maybe could cause the water pump to start leaking?

Just a wild stab in the dark... TIA

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Replace the water pump ASAP if you suspect any leaks there.
If you are low on coolant additional heat expands & it not a place you want to be.
If the reservoir is empty / low, it needs to be topped up frequently. Fill the thing each morning until you can get a new pump in.
Inspect for heat stress lines /issues with your hoses as well. If in doubt replace them & new Mopar thermostat while you are there.
Only Hoat or Zerex G-05 to be used in our jeeps.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Most water pumps have a "weep hole". When the water pump shaft seal wears out coolant comes out the weep hole to let you know you need a new pump. The system can't pressurize anymore and it will overheat and boil over at a lower temperature. Engines with alloy heads, and blocks, hate to be overheated. Things warp and then you have head gasket problems.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not get a cheap pump, use OEM and change the thermostat and tensioner while you have every thing apart.