Want to move up to a full-sized spare on '12 KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlasgowGrip

Reaction score
Recently I bought a used 2012 KK Liberty Sport 4WD with two mismatched pairs of tires, it's got the stock 16" aluminum wheels. So I just spent the dough to put brand new rubber all the way around - General Grabber HTS60 in 225/75R16.

So in the process I checked out the spare, it's a "donut" and sure enough, it's dry-rotted.

I want to up-size to a full size spare, so I kept the best of the four older tires to use as a spare, and now I need to find a full sized rim, so can anyone please give me some advice? I'd prefer to go cheap - a plain steel rim is fine with me but anything that fits would be acceptable if the price is right. Anyone have any thoughts on where to find something, and what to look for or what to avoid?

What are the specs that are critical size-wise? All I know so far is it needs to be a 16" rim with a 5x114.3mm bolt pattern.

Thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My thought is to check a local wrecking yard, also any local craigslist adds or similar in your area?
A local tire/rim shop (even a used store) may have one for you.
I do not have all the specs, but it would be nice to find a matching rim, you could also post a photo in our wanted section, someone might have one.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a junkyard for mine. I got a matching OEM rim plus the tire pressure sensor for something like $70. Maybe even $50. (Can’t recall exactly). But it definitely beats ordering a brand new rim. Check http://www.car-part.com to see which junkyards in your area may have one.

GlasgowGrip

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I looked at the car-part website and there seem to be a good number of options pretty near me in the $65 range for used OEM Liberty wheels. I'll report back once I get around to buying one. As a bonus I think that even with mounting I'll still get away cheaper than buying a new donut.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Get two that match what you have. Then you have two spares. If you rotate your tires yourself without a lift there's one less up-and-down. If you have a flat, you're not driving around without a spare. As tires wear out buy them in pairs, note the id #s, and rotate them as twins.

Latest posts

Members online