Wait. Whaaaat? They banned all the good stuff in paint strippers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ran out of paint stripper while working on Bert today. Just learned that they banned Methylene Chloride and NMP and all the other good stuff in paint strippers. Sorry, been using the same 5 gallon bucket for years!

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has some input. I have heard/read/been told that
You must be registered for see images attach

is now the gold standard for the semi-gel brush-on paint stripper for metal and automotive use?

I am cleaning, painting and detailing Bert's undercarriage and suspension stuff that isn't getting replaced this weekend. Ran out of the now apparently illegal stuff I have been using properly for years.

Looking forward to not having to suit up in my "ghostbusters" outfit and b.low.ing an benjamin on respirator cartridges.

So, curious what folks use nowadays.
I prefer the semi-gel types that you brush on thick and then let sit in a bag or container, then rinse with ETOH or Isopropanol before a primer and paint. My media blaster is too small for most automotive parts and set up to prepare fossils. Would prefer not to spend money to convert that just to do a few parts.
Sounds like overkill, but with the cost of the upgrades, I would like everything else to look somewhat as nice as the shiny UCAs and OME struts and shocks- plus prevent more rust.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were a number of deaths linked to the use of methylene chloride due to asphyxiation, I believe, hence the ban. It's been at least a year since they took it out of the hands of Joe Consumer. A shame, since the stuff worked wonders for getting multiple coats off in one shot and what's left is a far cry from it.

You might have luck using ones labeled "aircraft remover." They tend to be a little stronger in my experience. When using gels, it's usually important NOT to brush the product back and forth into the work because it dries it out and makes it less effective. Just glob it on in one shot and let it sit. It might not hurt to cover the area with something like waxed paper after applying the remover, which also helps to keep the product from drying out.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
There were a number of deaths linked to the use of methylene chloride due to asphyxiation, I believe, hence the ban. It's been at least a year since they took it out of the hands of Joe Consumer. A shame, since the stuff worked wonders for getting multiple coats off in one shot and what's left is a far cry from it.

You might have luck using ones labeled "aircraft remover." They tend to be a little stronger in my experience. When using gels, it's usually important NOT to brush the product back and forth into the work because it dries it out and makes it less effective. Just glob it on in one shot and let it sit. It might not hurt to cover the area with something like waxed paper after applying the remover, which also helps to keep the product from drying out.
Yep, it was nasty stuff. I’m actually glad they took the stuff out of consumer hands. I’m old enough to remember when they got smart and banned carbon tetrachloride to- that was even worse stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.