Vibration in Reverse - uphill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear friends i am curious about such problem/situaiton. Actually i read much about this problem exists on several Jeep model but, when i try to climb a slope in reverse, car vibrates like it has a clutch. Everything is working in correct order. Do you know what can be the reason?

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did this real bad then i got a reflash on the ******. this was in 2007. not a problem anymore.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did this real bad then i got a reflash on the ******. this was in 2007. not a problem anymore.

I take it the dealership did the reflash? I notice mine doing this pulling a friend in reverse uphill when he got stuck, although once I put it in 4low it went away. How much is a reflash?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there was an article about that issue somewhere and the software needed to be update/reflashed to fix the issue. See if you can ask about the problem at a local stealership. I'm sure they must know about it. It's somewhere on here...just too lazy to look for it.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when engine is cold, and idle speed is little bit higher than normal, there is absolutely no vibration on reverse. when engine is warm, and when i give more gas there is vibration regardles of engine speed. after few feet movement, it is gone.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the dealership the other day just to see if there was a reflash or reprogram for this problem and they said they had never heard of such a thing.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it the dealership did the reflash? I notice mine doing this pulling a friend in reverse uphill when he got stuck, although once I put it in 4low it went away. How much is a reflash?

yes the dealership did it for free. tjkj told me about it. my dealership knew what it was without question.

it almost got me into some bad trouble in one outing before the flash. i went down a step gravel drive in a developing sub division where they were digging for a basement. i pulled the front end to the edge of the bank so i could back up and turn around. IT WOULDNT BUDGE!! even at 4000k rpms it wouldnt move an inch. i was to nervous to think straight and tried 4 hi instead of low and it still wouldnt move. i had to dig out from under the wheels to give it a few inches to "fall into" the new ditch i made just to get going. even once going, i almost didnt make it out of the drive. it wasnt spinning the wheels, just jerking and hesitating in the driveline. the engine was smooth and fine.

after the flash it never did it again.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the dealership did it for free. tjkj told me about it. my dealership knew what it was without question.

it almost got me into some bad trouble in one outing before the flash. i went down a step gravel drive in a developing sub division where they were digging for a basement. i pulled the front end to the edge of the bank so i could back up and turn around. IT WOULDNT BUDGE!! even at 4000k rpms it wouldnt move an inch. i was to nervous to think straight and tried 4 hi instead of low and it still wouldnt move. i had to dig out from under the wheels to give it a few inches to "fall into" the new ditch i made just to get going. even once going, i almost didnt make it out of the drive. it wasnt spinning the wheels, just jerking and hesitating in the driveline. the engine was smooth and fine.

after the flash it never did it again.

This happened to my buddy's exploder when we went wheelin. He was sitting on solid ground and was not in the least bit stuck. Me, the evil a$$ hole I am was laughing hysterical. After he got it home he needed a ****** rebuild so it wasn't too funny anymore

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've called three different Jeep dealships and none of them have a clue what Im talking about they all say its probable my transmission and there is no way to reflash that sort of problem..... I dont get it(banghead)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
TSB 21-009-09 covers the following models

2004 (AN) Dakota
2006 (DR) Ram Truck
2005 - 2006 (HB) Durango
2004 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee
2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota
2005 (TJ) Wrangler

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well called every Jeep dealer in the Denver Metro area and they all want 120+ to look at my Jeep and Diagnose the problem they say they can't look up to see if the TSB applies to my Jeep without Diagnosing it first. I dont get why this isn't a recall. I really dont thin they understand what Im telling them and its frustrating.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If they don't know what the TSB 21-009-09 is
then try TSB 21-005-07, DATED
MARCH 20, 2007, later one just included a few more years/models

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well called every Jeep dealer in the Denver Metro area and they all want 120+ to look at my Jeep and Diagnose the problem they say they can't look up to see if the TSB applies to my Jeep without Diagnosing it first. I dont get why this isn't a recall. I really dont thin they understand what Im telling them and its frustrating.
That would be correct,they must diagnose it 1st to determine if the TSB will fix it or if it is a torque converter/trans issue that will not be fixed by the flash.

It's not a recall as it's not a safety issue.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took my car from chrysler authorized service center. they replaced my rear suspension arms becase of a recall. when my car was in their place, i asked them to replace o rings and teflon made parts inside transmission pan. these are controlling the pressure of atf in low drive and reverse. they also added new fluid. vibration seems gone now. probably there was a pressure loss due to worn o rings. car creeps forward or reverse quicker now. for your info.