V-6 Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ikster

Reaction score
When I had my 2005 Liberty in for the traction bar recall they found a coolant leak from the thermostat. I replaced it and the bottom radiator hose is only a couple of year old and looked good. I find a few drops of coolant underneath after driving. I removed the skid plate, but I can't see where it's coming from. Could really use some help on this. Leaving on a trip soon and obviously can't have cooling problems.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the water pump is weeping. On my 02 it was a sign to change my water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump or freeze plugs can be a place to check for leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya all good suggestions ^
You can take a paper towel and wipe it around the bottom of the water pump to see if the leak may be coming from there.
Pressure test the system to 16psi may show the leak quickly.
As you replaced the thermostat, and hose it may not be an issue, but of course I would mention as a potential problem area, that the thermostat housing is another potential area of a leak.
The housing is in-expensive and part is 53020887AD.
I would also like to mention that HOAT or Zerex-G05 is the only correct coolant for the KJ.

Last edited:

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen multiple Liberty's have the same crack in the radiator which will leak. The stress point is on the driver side, top corner area where there is a bracket coming off the radiator, all plastic.

Latest posts

Members online