used Jeep Liberty buying advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI all - So I used to own a 2005 Jeep Liberty and have been dying to get back into one. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 Limited with ~170K miles for $1000, but I'm a bit hesitant b/c it is not current running...current owner alleges that it needs a new CKP and/or CSP which should be a fairly easy DIY fix. Any thoughts as to whether this is a wise purchase or not? I have heard the early KJs can have catastrophic engine failure due to some design flaws and don't really want to have this happen on the drive home after purchase. Can anybody ease my fears? Thanks!

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a machanic in any way shape or form, so half of what you said went right over my head. Lol. But I would never buy anything that isn't already running well to begin with. So many things could be wrong with it - you just can't know. Wish i could ease your fears but seems like too big of a risk to me. Run. ;-)