Upper control arm bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took apart drivers side front end, when i got to removing the bushing bolts for the upper a arm got stuck, tried slamming with a BFH using extensions to push the bolts out, couldn't get them to even budge. I think they're seized to thr bushing, gona take it to a shop i know Monday if i dont hear a better solution here :(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The nuts are off right?

What if you cut the the bolts on each end enough to slide the a arm out and then have a better shot at getting the bushings out?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of any being stuck before , that is a new one !
Which bolt is it?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the front and rear bolt are stuck in there good, confirmed with a sledge hammer, cutting from outside engine bay doesn't seem to be an option due to the rubber on the bushings having swollen to block sight of the bolts from outside. When i get back from a business trip probably gona have a buddies shop try hitting outside of bushings witha torch and pneumatic hammer them out i guess :(

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the front and rear bolt are stuck in there good, confirmed with a sledge hammer, cutting from outside engine bay doesn't seem to be an option due to the rubber on the bushings having swollen to block sight of the bolts from outside. When i get back from a business trip probably gona have a buddies shop try hitting outside of bushings witha torch and pneumatic hammer them out i guess :(

I'm not sure I understand what is keeping those bolts in there...

Once the nut is removed the bolt should just slide right out - there's nothing to hold it in since it just slides through the bushing sleeve. Since the upper A-arm moves up and down with the suspension the bolts aren't able to rust and attach to the steel sleeve inside the bushing.

Are these the original factory upper a-arms? When the upper ball joint is separated from the steering knuckle are you able to move the a-arm up and down? If so, when you move it does the bolt rotate with the arm? In other words, if you reach inside the engine bay can you feel the "flag" on the back end of the bolt rotating with the arm or does it stay in position?

For clarification, the nuts face the front of the Jeep while the flag end of the bolts are on the rear/firewall side of the a-arm pockets. The bolts slide out toward the back of the Jeep; the back, driver's (left) side bolt can be a bit tricky to get to but it can be reached from the top if you don't have an ABS module or from the bottom if you do.

Updates please :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what is keeping those bolts in there...

Once the nut is removed the bolt should just slide right out - there's nothing to hold it in since it just slides through the bushing sleeve. Since the upper A-arm moves up and down with the suspension the bolts aren't able to rust and attach to the steel sleeve inside the bushing.

Are these the original factory upper a-arms? When the upper ball joint is separated from the steering knuckle are you able to move the a-arm up and down? If so, when you move it does the bolt rotate with the arm? In other words, if you reach inside the engine bay can you feel the "flag" on the back end of the bolt rotating with the arm or does it stay in position?

For clarification, the nuts face the front of the Jeep while the flag end of the bolts are on the rear/firewall side of the a-arm pockets. The bolts slide out toward the back of the Jeep; the back, driver's (left) side bolt can be a bit tricky to get to but it can be reached from the top if you don't have an ABS module or from the bottom if you do.

Updates please :waytogo:

Bob

Thats why I have been sitting here scratching my head on this one! LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The bolts are most likely seized in the bushing sleeve like is known to happen on the LCA cam bolts.

Yes seen the lowers but never the uppers even with ones from areas with lots of salt etc in the winter time. But I guess it could happen, anything is possible !

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im aware of how and in what direction the bolts SHOULD be sliding out, with the nuts removed the bolts do move with the a arm, with the nuts torqued down to the bolts they do not move as i would expect. Im thinking they are seized to the inner sleeve. Also yes it's the original arms so about 10 years old at this point. Gona be taking it to shop on Thurs

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow up in case anyone is following, my guy at the shop ended up having to cut the arm off and then torch the bolts/sleeves directly, only then he was able to hammer the bolts out. 10yrs+ in Canada weather will do that i guess