underhood smoke on CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

our1stjeep

Reaction score
Hey all! First thanks to welcoming my girlfriend and I to the group. I know she has been emailing some of you and everyone is very helpful. Gotta question.
Cracked the hood on the CRD today and notice small puffs of smoke back by the radiator resevoir. I removed the plastic engine cover and on the left cam bank looks to be a PCV valve of some kind, not hooked to anything and puffing. The dealer is getting us the owners manual (wasnt in the jeep when we bought it) but I doubt it will ID this componenet. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this happen. Really wondering why it is not plumbed back into the intake like most. Any help is appreciated.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
ur best bet is to take it to the dealer and show them...
very few CRD owners thus far..so us vet's really cant say much advice on them..have you tried hooking it back up (the hose..)
it would be great too if u can take a pic....

most likely it got knocked loose in transport...
did u overheat or anything?

also, is the hose just hanging there? or is it hooked to something else...
it would be great if y'all can get a pic...maybe another CRD owner will be will to crack open their plastic covers and compare...

sorry cant help y'all much.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably minor. Diesels do smoke. Now the CRD doesn't smoke like the old diesels. My dad had a diesel in the late 70's that would smoke up the neighborhood each morning!

our1stjeep

Reaction score
Thats the odd thing, no hose to connect to it. i'll try to get a pic to post and see if anyone else has the same thing. And no overheating or anything, and it only got 750 miles so far with no trail use so unless someone (my girlfriend) is jumping curbs on the way to work, i cant see see anything getting knocked loose.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are two pics showing the hoes that you are missing. I have added a CCV filter, that's the clear hose you see in the pics. But the start and end locations are the same. I would not run the Jeep as if it is missing, the side for the turbo will be taking in unfiltered air.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock on wood, I've had no problems w/my CRD. perfect10.gif
A tad over 3400 miles with nothing but (biggthumpup) .
Greg

our1stjeep

Reaction score
Ken,
Thanks for the pics!!!! I found the hose unconnected and had fallen out of site down under the resevoir. I really appreciate the help you have given us, hopefully no damage to the turbo has been done, but its gotta go back to the dealer for some stuff and i will definitley point this out.

longarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our1stjeep said:
Ken,
Thanks for the pics!!!! I found the hose unconnected and had fallen out of site down under the resevoir. I really appreciate the help you have given us, hopefully no damage to the turbo has been done, but its gotta go back to the dealer for some stuff and i will definitley point this out.

What did the dealer say?

our1stjeep

Reaction score
havent had it in yet. It seems to be unaffected by the hose and I will discuss it when we take it in for the other issues. Which by the way..... we have to issues, the rear brakes seem to "moan" in the morning or after it has been sitting. I noticed others with this problem but it says that was happening on cold mornings. Not to cold in Tucson in July. Also it will intermittantly (again, first thing in the morning) shudder and sometimes die at the first or second stop. It feels like the converter is not releasing and stalling the motor. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our1stjeep said:
Also it will intermittantly (again, first thing in the morning) shudder and sometimes die at the first or second stop. It feels like the converter is not releasing and stalling the motor. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Mine did that the first morning I had it. Lately, it just a drop in RPMs but no stalling. Anyway the CEL came on this morning, code P0299 turbo underboost. So to the dealer this Monday.

Latest posts

Members online