Under seat Sub.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who have done the job is it a significant upgrade?
I am planning on doing this one myself it worthwhile rather than an aftermarket lump filling the rear cargo bay

gawilliams

Reaction score
Mopar Subwoofer = no front left audio

I bought the Mopar subwoofer kit, which goes under the drivers seat, but have had a problem with the left front speaker audio. I installed it myself, and thought that I'd done something wrong becuase there was no left front speaker audio. I took it to the dealer, they verified everything, and still no audio. They got a replacement cable, installed it, still no audio. They then contacted Chrysler tech support, who acknowledged that this was a known problem, and have had my Liberty for TEN DAYS waiting for an answer. They were kind enough to give me a '98 Plymouth Breeze with only 108,000 and tires with the belts showing... but with snow coming tongiht, I called and told them I was coming to get my jeep today.

They still don't have an answer -- I have an '05 Limited with Sirius and the RBQ 6 disc changer and Infinity speaker setup. I'm guessing the problem is that the subwoofer harness, which is installed between the radio and the original wiring harness, doesn't pass the power along to the speaker to run the in-speaker amp. With it plugged in, the sub works, but no front speaker. When the sub harness is unplugged, everything works (except the sub, of course).

Being a Mopar "plug and play" kit, I was hoping for better. I'll let you know if they ever resolve the problem... in the mean time, be forewarend! :)

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Just installed my Mopar Subwoofer...

It was an easy install. I was disappointed in the install manual... all pics... no text, no specs. Apparently the sub amp has overload protection. I cranked it up quite high to check for vibrations between the subwoofer frame and the seat frame, and the sub cut out. Powered the radio off/on, and the sub started working again. The sub complements the stock stereo okay... really boosts the bass. But I was disapointed it didn't really provide any lower freq's than the stock speakers provide. I wouldn't even bother adding this sub to the Infinity speaker systems. I think they put out at least 100 watts with better lo-freq response, as opposed to the sub's 80 watts (freq range unknown).
Would like to hear others' experiences with their Mopar subs.

gawilliams

Reaction score
I would agree -- with the Infinity speakers, it does add more boom... but almost too much. Bear in mind, only ONE of my front speakers (tweeters) was working at the same time as the sub, but the bass seemed to really overpower it unless you had the EQ set at bass -6 and treble at +6 (or whatever the hghest setting was). With the Infinity, and with this problem, maybe a Basslink or something that adds more punch or lower frequency response, without the muddy boominess, would be good.

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Mopar subwoofer

That's how I would describe it too... a very booming bass. I was hoping it would reach into the lower bass freqs that the stock speakers can't produce. I use to set my treble at +8 and bass at +5 with the stock speakers. Now, with the "sub", I've had to readjust my bass down to 00 for jazz, and into the negative range for rock music (because rock booms more). Maybe some day I'll try to open that subwoofer case and see if I can replace the speaker with a "real" 6-inch subwoofer.

Hey gawilliams, did you ever get the problem resolved with your left speaker not working after you installed the sub?

Oh yeah, one other thing about the sub... when you fade to rear speakers only, the sub fades out. It appears to only work with the front speakers.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
I have installed the mopar sub about a year ago. i am not impressed with the bass it is giving my system.
i dont have the infinity system in my liberty, so maybe this is one of the reasons it doesnt sound good. but, before i got the sub, i would keep my stereo set at 8+ treble and 6+ bass. the only minor change i had to make is dropping the bass down a notch or two. i had the dealer install it, so im assuming it was installed right. but i am def not seeing the huge changes that everyone else is seeing. any ideas as to what i am doing wrong?

KJ33

Reaction score
I have the subwoofer, dealer installed, and its great. I too didn't like the fact that the bass it put out was really loud, and really boomy (too much upper-mid frequencies).

BTW, on the back of it are two black plastic, unmarked, inset, phillips head screws. One of these controlls the amplitude (volume) of the sub, and other controlls the cross-over frequency (i.e. how high up in frequency the sub will produce).

Turn both of these down (counter-clockwise) as far as they go. This will have the sub putting out only the lowest frequency base (i.e. "sub-woofer"), at the lowest possible volume. IMHO, this is perfect for most music, and you can of course adjust it further with the bass control on the dash.

This sub then puts out amazing really low bass, and it's really powerful, without being overbearing. Turn up the aplitude if you want it overbearing =P~

It amazes me that DC doesn't know enough to put that in the "manual" (if you could call it that), or even label them on the back.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing, how did you find this ? , now I have to go crawl under the seat and experiment, by back I am guessing the part that can be seen from the rear seat

Bob

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
WOW. i just tried it and it worked. the only problem is, there is a metal bracket that is right in front of the dials. i actually just bent it up enough to get my screwdriver in there. i didnt bend it back into place just yet because i want to test it out to see if it sounds good. once its all set, i will bend it back. kind of a cheezy way to get to the adjustments, but it works. hopefully it bends back nicely into place. i cant believe the dc wouldnt put this in their instruction manual. with the sub adjusted, makes a big difference. i actually can hear a huge change in the sound quality.

Renegade Flex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im very interested to get one of these subs.

What can one expect to pay for it and have it installed? And can I just buy the unit and go to my local audio guy and have him install it for me?

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks KJ33...i was looking into putting in a switch like my other car has that would turn the amp off. Listening to sports radio since the amp has been kind of unbearable...this is a much better solution.

I don't know how much a professional charges an hour, but it took me a little over an hour to do the install. You dont even have to remove the seat, just loosen the bolts. The instructions are a bit lacking, but that's pretty much par for the course with all of Mopars diagrams but no words directions.

Dusty37

Reaction score
@Gentleman it seems you know yourself around subs. Can you recommend me one?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good sub for my ride and can't wrap my head around which would suit me best.

Do I need to spend over $1000 to get some decent sound? I've been reading the reviews all over the internet and I didn't get closer to finding a solution. Plus most reviews are hype. Blatant copy of manufacturer's features that's it. Now I've found a different site which writes more on our language. Still there are 10 subs on the page and it's hard to choose. This best value sub post is different. What I loved about the reviews were that he highlights many negatives. Best of all they are not watered down.

What are the most important things when you're looking for a sub? Any tips?

Latest posts

Members online