under hood padding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
serve any significant purpose? some folks say noise reduction but taking it off may reduce engine heat thus mildly improving performance.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be removing mine in two weeks. Installing some hood vents. I know a lot of people that do not have it and no ill effects. You should be fine.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
noise increase or paint problems?

None that I've noticed so far.

I can't really account much for the noise as I run a roof basket and MT's... they kind of drown out any other 'normal' sounds. But even before I added the MT's, I didn't notice any significant changes.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was some sort of insulation for the cold weather, I thought it would keep my engine warmer longer than it would without it.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mine has been out for....3 days nearly 4. I did notice a slight increase in engine noise...I mean very very very slight. Just enough for me to go...hmmm...what is that and then I remembered I took off the padding. It is so quiet that if you up your radio 1 level you will not hear it. Hell if you just ignore it you don't hear it. Kind of like significant others :D JUST KIDDING...partially. ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
After doing some research and talking to an engineer....

I was wrong. And so is everyone except Xodius (sort of?).

It's sound insulation.
That would explain the increase in engine noise. It does NOT protect paint (that wouldn't make any sense because it doesn't cover the entire span of the hood) or help put out engine fires (this sort of makes sense but air fuels fires, and there's not much space up there, the air comes from down below and through the grille...).