Uncommon issue... please Techs (and ex XJers) chime in..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, for those who think a D-44 is a big deal...

To make a long story short, rear passenger bearing went bad so I decided to change both sides..
Drivers side went flawlessly but not so for passenger's.. After a few days a big puddle of gear lube
formed on inner side of rim announcing a bigger issue.
Techs know that swapping oil seal often means discarding the bearing (BTW Timken SET-10) too
(sh..) but what could I do other than redo the whole job.. grrr..
This time we used bearing compound (sorta loctite 620) as, and most of You probably don't know,
on many D-44s, unexplicably, cage won't seat snug in place and in fact comes in and out by hand.
I didn't know either..

Again, after a few days, oil seeping between inner seal lips, though less this time.
In at a loss, friend said I'd better buy a new shaft (Argh) and, of course, new bearing, seal and
probably backing plate too..

Soon I might be posting a thread titled 'Tales from the cript..' as my KJ is driving me nuts!

Car, car and again..CAR!!! ( I know, three puppies.... )

PS: replaced tri-link bushings twice, even Mopar sucked..:favorites68: but this will be on another thread.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank's Tj :worthy:

Funny (well, ironic at least..) thing is that I've always been glad, until now, that on D-44s bearings
have their own races, unlike some other diffs where they run on shafts and wear them out..
In spite of that, looks like I'll have to swap the axle anyway, this time :favorites68:

Well, at least I don't have those darn C-Clips but only 4 14mm (9/16) bolts holding the axle in place :hmm:
For those who've never seen one, axle simply comes out by hand after removing those 4 bolts..
Al right, calipers must be removed too, but it still looks a bit scary (i.e. weak) to me..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank's Tj :worthy:

Funny (well, ironic at least..) thing is that I've always been glad, until now, that on D-44s bearings
have their own races, unlike some other diffs where they run on shafts and wear them out..
In spite of that, looks like I'll have to swap the axle anyway, this time :favorites68:

Well, at least I don't have those darn C-Clips but only 4 14mm (9/16) bolts holding the axle in place :hmm:
For those who've never seen one, axle simply comes out by hand after removing those 4 bolts..
Al right, calipers must be removed too, but it still looks a bit scary (i.e. weak) to me..
It's where the seal rides on the axle that is the issue and is more common then you think on c-clipless axles.My RockJock60 is the same way and had the same issue due to a minor imperfection in the axle where the seal rides.A new set of axles with bearings/seal took care of the issue(under warranty).Seems weak but actually very strong and if you break a axle you still can drive it home unlike the C-clip axle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.