Typical Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to lift my 2005 Sport with 173,*** miles.
Here's the lift I decided on:
Front Springs- OME927
Front Struts- Bilstein (F4-BE5-D916-H0)
Rear Springs- OME948
Rear Shocks- Bilstein (F4-BE5-6458-H7)
Front Bump stops- Teraflex
1/4" Top Plates- JBA <comments on this setup?
The ride isn't terrible at the moment, but for the price of getting new OEM parts, I figured I might as well just lift it. I have zero mechanical knowledge on how to install a lift and am a little nervous on doing so. But, I have to do it myself because the lift kit alone is very expensive and I don't want to pay more to have somebody install it. Also, my KJ is my only vehicle so I'd have to have it done at the most within a day..(I know, I'm inexperienced with this) :whymewhyme:

Here's what I measured from center of wheel to bottom of fender:
Driver's- 18.5"
Passenger- 18"
Driver's Rear- 18.5"
Passenger Rear- ~19.25"

As you can see, my current measurements are a little odd. My first question is this; when I install the lift, how would I make all sides level? Would I have to add more/less things to each side? I'm very particular about things being as perfect as possible and I don't want things to look half-ass. Second question- how long could I go with the lift installed without bigger/wider tires? I'll be spending a lot of money on the lift and wouldn't be able to afford tires at the moment.

Thanks in advance !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're in Ohio,
So that means you have access to the best knowledge in lifting out there.
Pretty good list overall no rear bumpstops mentioned
As far as level afterwards, you're replacing everything that causes the uneveness currently.
Will need install kit for rear shocks, JBA has it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes since you're going with a top plate need one extra iso per side in the rear, uppers
You can run forevef if you want to with stock tires, had some who ran 2 to 3 years after we lifted theirs

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the exact same boat. Same parts same $$$ issue. I have pretty good wrench turning knowledge so i dont think i am totally screwed. You are in ohio so your doing good.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're in Ohio,
So that means you have access to the best knowledge in lifting out there.
Pretty good list overall no rear bumpstops mentioned
As far as level afterwards, you're replacing everything that causes the uneveness currently.
Will need install kit for rear shocks, JBA has it

Thanks Tom,
I was looking through the website and couldn't find the install kit you were referring to.
I know you live in Ohio as well, I just can't fork out any more money for people to help me install it or let someone install it at a shop. I really want to do it myself so I learn more about how to do these things, but I don't like the idea of taking suspension parts off of my Jeep and not putting things on right.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it on the same page as the shocks says they need this kit to install rear shocks. Tom's the man helped me confirm my parts are what i need. I guess thats why he's the Rev and we are just peasants.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rev. has never been turned down on free help before

Maybe it wasnt stated clear enough for the guy. If he wants to get it done in a day he should. Considering you change out upper control arms in 40 minutes or less. A lift should only take a couple hours. I plan for mine to take a weekend if i can find a shop to assemble my struts. A few extra days if my father in law has to get it done at work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it wasnt stated clear enough for the guy. If he wants to get it done in a day he should. Considering you change out upper control arms in 40 minutes or less. A lift should only take a couple hours. I plan for mine to take a weekend if i can find a shop to assemble my struts. A few extra days if my father in law has to get it done at work.

We could and have removed everything from the front in "less than" 45 minutes , dropped off the front assembly to be compressed while we did the rear ( 20 minutes) pick up fronts install 45 minutes or less and to the alignment shop all before lunch and never started before 9-9:30
My friend Chris and I would each take a side and got it done. ( all with hand tools just to make it fun ! ) Done a lot of them that way, even pulled his aprt and put it back together one day on a bet for lunch, yes we ate good that day!:happy175:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not very often any more but some newbies get a break, his ran out though at noon :gr_grin::happy175::happy175:

Yeah, I'm fairly certain he had no clue that was what was being offered. He must have assumed you'd help (or someone in Ohio), but that they'd need compensation beyond a 12pk of beer and lunch.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Im in illinois (southside of chicago) and would gladly pay that bill for some help. Shit i woukd get a 24pk.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Im in illinois (southside of chicago) and would gladly pay that bill for some help. Shit i woukd get a 24pk.

24? Pshaw.. I'd buy up a 30 pack of Milwaukee's "Beast" for $15... papa always said, "Drink for quantity or quality, not both."

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ask any of the ones who got lifts done at my place,
no beer before or during an install
240 pack wouldn't change anything :emotions34::gr_grin:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I'll play Chris' part and we'll make a movie for the How-To section. :happy175:

I'm available to help too. I know Prof up in Cleveland is considering a lift too - could be an old fashioned lift party ;)

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shoot, I'll play Chris' part and we'll make a movie for the How-To section. :happy175:

I'm available to help too. I know Prof up in Cleveland is considering a lift too - could be an old fashioned lift party ;)

Bob

Wouldn't be the first time we did two lifts in a day
( plus install some Boulder Bars rockrails on another one and replace right side CV and intermediate shaft on even another ) :Insane: