Tyler's 2002 Jeep Liberty "Limited Custom" project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been here for quite some time now and I figured I'd share with you my 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport

I first got the jeep about 3 years ago. At that time it was a base model Liberty with 159,000 miles. Since then I have added many things. I will first start off by listing the factory options I added and any repairs I will put last.

First thing I added with the limited trim for the interior. Boy did I have a field day grabbing all the interior parts.

I was happy with the interior for awhile and felt like I was missing something. So, what did I do? Oh yeah OTIS TIME. Installed that and the temp sensor and works great still to this day.

For months I scratched my head (as many of you may now cough cough tommund) when trying to add the factory fog lights. I finally got that done after months of confusion (I forgot the relay in the junction box, DOH!)

As you may notice I have some interior trim pieces that I painted to match as well as the HVAC vents.

Okay that's all for the factory pieces. Let's talk accessories.

I bought a full set of weather tech floor mats and I love them. I've had them in there for almost 7 months now. I replaced ALL speakers in the doors with kenwoods, and added my Pioneer AVH-4800BS double din. That was definitely a chore to do but was worth it. Of course as some of you may know the metes kit comes standard black. I experimented with different paints and got the right silver to match the limited trim and topped it off with professional grade clear coat.

Let's talk power accessories now. I removed the cigarette lighter and added in a dual USB port for easy charging. Ran my phone cable behind my dash to hide the cable when my phone is not being charge on my dash mount. Since I upgraded to a double din, I lost the second power outlet. My solution to this was running a dual USB/Power outlet into the center console which turned out great.

Exterior mods:
Of course new rims and tires. All bumpers and fenders were linexd and Atezza style tail lights.

Repairs: I got the jeep with around 159,000 miles. Somewhere around 179,*** miles the engine went kaput.

It was toast. Could not be saved
So, sent the jeep 3.5 hours away to grand vile Michigan to get a new reman installed which now has about 14,000 miles on it (I keep everything written on paper as well as oil changes)

Prior to me getting the jeep (which was my grandfathers) he had the entire AC system replaced which saved me a few headaches. Only thing I had to do was replace the suction line as it was leaking at the hose.

Recently I pulled the dash to replace the heater core which went well.

Exhaust rotted to smithereens so had that replaced with a cat back flow master knock off that I had a shop weld on and a Chrome tip and it sounds great. Well pictures will be below.

Next on the list: 2.5" lift and bigger tires and new rims.
The jeep also has remote start.
Also, I have a full set of igee seat covers on their way. Will update when I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tyler's 2002 Jeep Liberty "Limited Custom" project

Clay bared and waxed for your viewing pleasure
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job. You have made a lot of improvements. Good for you for keeping your grandfather's Jeep on the road after all these years. :waytogo:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the flip out key was that standard for your year kj.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the flip out key was that standard for your year kj.

Doubt it was
I got one for my KJ with the exact same keypad layout as the stock transponder key for ~$10 on eBay and then $3 to have it cut
It looks like a stock key and all I had to do was throw the old into the new
It came with a new rubber keypad as well since the old was fading
Everyone asks me "That's your key for your Jeep? I need one like that!"
Here's my key:

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have to get the chip out of the old key or na to transponder is in the clicker?i have an 02 with the basic jeep dodge clicker.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have to get the chip out of the old key or na to transponder is in the clicker?i have an 02 with the basic jeep dodge clicker.

Black key=no chip

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the transponder key (black with buttons that unlock/lock, tail gate, etc) then you just open that one up and switch the chip into the new one
The one I have is the same keypad layout as the stock key so it was a direct fit and came with a new set of rubber buttons
I took it to a local hobby shop and got it cut for $3

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if they sell a switchblade blank like that with the chip already in it? I bought a spare key a year ago and programmed it myself with no problem.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they sell a switchblade blank like that with the chip already in it? I bought a spare key a year ago and programmed it myself with no problem.

Cut open your existing key, remove the little black transponder chip, open up the switchblade unit, and stick the chip in there.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the transponder key (black with buttons that unlock/lock, tail gate, etc) then you just open that one up and switch the chip into the new one
The one I have is the same keypad layout as the stock key so it was a direct fit and came with a new set of rubber buttons
I took it to a local hobby shop and got it cut for $3

My key is grey my clicker is black. So the trnasponder is in the clicker?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Cut open your existing key, remove the little black transponder chip, open up the switchblade unit, and stick the chip in there.

I know that would work. I just don't want to cut open a key if I don't have to.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.