Turtle Wax Results..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a black KJ with lots of swirl marks, some scratches and very tiny white spots (I don't know what they are, but definitely not stone chips). The paint was a little bit neglected, not in a very bad condition though, but unfortunately black paint is very successfull in showing its defects.

To get rid of the swirls and maintain that glossy, mirror like paint which I always admire, I tried Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover and Turtle Wax Extreme Nanotech Polishing Wax.

I read the instructions carefully and worked really hard for nearly 4 hours (I was feeling faint when it was over).

Well, the "remover" did not remove even a single swirl or scratch! The polishing wax did no better than a wash&shine shampoo:mad: No impressive gloss or shine at all. In the end, I only had plenty of white dust on every panel which was hard to clear.

I want to think it's my bad. But I did as directed and guess that should be enough for better results.

(I had to try Turtle Wax, because Meguiar's and Mothers products are not available here.)

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still reading about the whole issue. As far as I understand, to get rid of those swirls, micro scratches etc. and maintain that "showroom like" gloss, the best way is to use a good old polish and wax seperately, both in paste form. The polish should be only a polish and the wax should be nothing but only wax.

After my experience, I doubt two-in-one products like "nano tech polishing wax" or "scratch and swirl remover" etc, especially in liquid form actually work.

What do you think?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never had great results with TW, but I'll put that aside.

Generally, polishing and waxing are two separate stages, and shouldn't be one step.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just re read your post, and they don't have to be paste. There are some great liquid ones out there.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok but when I watch the pros, I see them using paste and some other softer form between paste and fluid, for polish.

Isn't polish abrasive? Such substance should perform better in paste form instead of liquid I guess? The liquid polish I used was really crappy. It didn't remove anything at all?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What I use (Meguire's Ultimate Compound and Swirl X) are non abrasive, meaning they don't remove clear coat.

The reason I think you are disipointed in the polish you got is because it was a combo wax/polish.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ, is the ultimate compound totally non-abrasive? How do they remove the scratches and swirls(which are actually micro scratches) if they don't cut into the surface??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found an article on line: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...lx-abrasive-not-2-different-descriptions.html

This just dawned on me, by paste, do you mean it comes out of a container like this?
You must be registered for see images

^^^That's a true paste wax.

You must be registered for see images attach

^^^That's liquid, but maybe somewhere in the difference between American English and Europe English they mean slightly different things? I guess Ultimate Compound could be considered a pastyish substance.

I just looked up the definition of non abrasive as well. By that, Meguire's means "Will not mar your paint." So I guess it can remove small amounts of clear.

Sorry if my wording is confusing...

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, as for the form of the substance included, the first one is in paste form, while the second one is liquid. I feel like polish or compound in paste form would be more effective than something in liquid form.

Anyway, I really need something to get those swirl marks and light scratches off. TW scratch and swirl remover didn't work at all. What would you suggest HJ?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not so much paste vs. liquid, but just the quality. Some are available as both.

What brands can you get over there?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I use (Meguire's Ultimate Compound and Swirl X) are non abrasive, meaning they don't remove clear coat.

The reason I think you are disipointed in the polish you got is because it was a combo wax/polish.

UC and Swirl X are both abrasive and remove clear coat. They use whats called Micro Abrasives which are so small that it will not show any visible marring. Before they used dimenishing abrasives which broke down as you polished. The problem with that was most people didnt understand how to polish so they would put it on, rub it around, then have marring since the polish never broke down.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Now I'm kinda scared to do the Rover with Swirl X again...still haven't removed all the old swirls from when I bought it.

How much of it take off? Is it negligible?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Swirl-X is a very safe product to use. Its a product you can use yearly to keep the swirls under control. Ultimate Compound is something you would want to use sparingly. You wouldn't want to use it monthly or anything like that. Maybe when you've discovered you've got some bad swirls and need to remove them you can use UC, then you can maintain with swirl-X if needed.

Meguiars also came out with some rubbing compounds. For years I read on their forum to never use rubbing compounds then they came out with some. Not understand that part yet but Ive not read much about their rubbing compounds yet.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just use the UC on certain spots were the paint is bad. Good to hear that the Swirl X isn't too abrasive.

I'm against rocks in a bottle...I mean rubbing compound... :D

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have Turtle Wax, Arexons, Sonax, Nigrin, Carpex here. We do have Meguiar's, but they're way too expensive.

I don't know really. I look at the car care products and other equipment the professionals use and get discouraged. Not only clay+scratch removers+polish, but also paint sealants, hard waxes.. And everything's done effectively with machines+different pads, etc.

Looks like it's nearly impossible for me to get that mirror like surface using an ordinary polish and wax.. and two hands!

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's Sonax. It's a European brand so it may not be well known in the US.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I did a quick Google on them, looks like a good company. I couldn't find their web site though.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turtle Wax anything is not usually very effective. It's a good worst case scenario wax, but if there's anything else available, I go for it instead. It's not affiliated with JKJ in anyway, but check out the website Autopia. They have great tutorials and assistance for detailing.