turbo liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you rip apart the engine and add forged pistons you will blow the pistons apart with even very low boost.The top ring groove is placed very high for emission reasons and can not handle boost.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 3.7L is what it is.

If you just want a fast Jeep, you need to get a Hemi GC. I have driven one and it has "knock your socks off power" for a heavy Jeep.

Dave

mcl727

Reaction score
well i have my 3.7 apart for head gaskets and feel it lacks power plus it would be sleeper, fuel economy is lacking there as well no matter what i do it stays about 20mpg which aint that great i mean better than my big block dually but not much

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have my 3.7 apart for head gaskets and feel it lacks power plus it would be sleeper, fuel economy is lacking there as well no matter what i do it stays about 20mpg which aint that great i mean better than my big block dually but not much
If you want better then 20mpg's,which is better then average for a KJ anyways,time to start thinking pruis.

mcl727

Reaction score
haha naw im not wanting a prius just power or mpg one of which would be nice i had a ls1 camaro with better mpg and better performance

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lighter vehicle with an engine that isn't working as hard to get it moving. The stock pistons are the reason the blower kit for the 3.7 was discontinued.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha naw im not wanting a prius just power or mpg one of which would be nice i had a ls1 camaro with better mpg and better performance

Yeah, those Cameros are nice and fun cars too but no comparison to a jeep. Lower to the ground, lighter, and real good aerodynamics, so much faster and better fuel economy even with a bigger engine. Built as a highway cruiser that can go fast on pavement. Not built to handle off-road. Apples and oranges.

Dave

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep already offered a KJ with a turbo in the US... no spark infestation included.

STW

Reaction score
And this is why i keep eyeing the 5.7L in my dad's Magnum... A tape measure says it will "fit", beer will make it work. :)

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it the new KL *might* have a MultiAir turbo 4 as one of the engine options.

But no, the 3.7L PowerTech would be very cost prohibitive to attempt to fit a turbo. Can't be done

STW

Reaction score
tjkj - it has the cylinder management where it can turn off cylinders under low power demand, is that the same as vvt? I figure advanced adaptors has the bellhousing to me it work with my NV3550. I also dont have ABS so clearance issues and motor mounts are the top challenges.

Back on topic, I wouldn't want a turbo on an offroad rig, turbos like to be clean. I think it was Kenbell that made a supercharger years ago, but the 3.7L didn't like that either.

I just drove a 2012 wrangler while on vacation, and I think it had the Pentastar engine. It did well. Power when needed, good fuel economy

S

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to swap in a Pentastar.....
No you don't.

tjkj - it has the cylinder management where it can turn off cylinders under low power demand, is that the same as vvt? I figure advanced adaptors has the bellhousing to me it work with my NV3550. I also dont have ABS so clearance issues and motor mounts are the top challenges.

S
No MDS is not the same a VVT.You don't want to use the NV3550 either as it will self destruct that trans and clutch in short order as the any of the new gen HEMI's torque output is almost double the rated input torque rating of that trans.You'd need a NV4500 to handle those engines.

STW

Reaction score
I thought the NV3550 was rated for a 7xxx # vehicle at 300 #'s O torque? Can't remember where I got that information though. Darn, you just made this dream harder...

S

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the NV3550 was rated for a 7xxx # vehicle at 300 #'s O torque? Can't remember where I got that information though. Darn, you just made this dream harder...

S
They claim 300lbs-ft but most places will say that it is far less.The NSG370 which replaces the NV3550 is only rated at 272lbs-ft.Eitherway any new gen HEMI still makes almost or well over the rated input torque for either trans.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.