Trying to do it right this time ISO advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehellboundfox

Reaction score
Hello,
Installed a BDS kit about 2 years ago. Knew a lot less back then, than i know now and am going to be redoing my suspension in the next month. My BDS springs are looking worse for wear with almost 80,000km running with shot struts and no bump stops.

Interested in running the max amount of lift before I reach "the problem zone"

BDS was nice enough to send me a new set of coils under their no fine print warranty so I do have that set to use if i so choose

if i ran:
RRO UCAs
Bilstein 5100 struts
BDS 2" springs

would that achieve the 3"-3.5"s of lift in the front I'm looking for ? I'm no stranger to the old clevis lift if need be. Ive heard the 5100 struts can "over lift" even at the lowest 1.5" setting which is what I'm worried about.

I currently have 1.5" BDS springs and 2 extra upper Isolaters on each side with BDS n2 shocks in the rear .

What would be a reasonable upgrade to match the front lift ?
Old man emu 928 ?
I do hall a lot of gear in my trunk as I am a carpenter during the day and on call search and rescue at night.

any information would be greatly appreciated
-Fox

Attachments

• 110320098_4211902352185430_3706748975709296394_n.jpg
    110320098_4211902352185430_3706748975709296394_n.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 14

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FIRST THING stay the H away from RRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTAL JUNK
Next, shocks, we have shocks in front, struts are on cars without upper control arms
Third, shocks do not provide lift, only springs do
Bilstein shocks in the 5100 series are a good shock so those will work in front ( just buy the normal Bilstein ones for a KJ )
So you still want to run the BDS front springs ?? If so adda top plate ( 1/4 inch thick ) Plus a clevis to get desired height , BDS do not give as much lift as OME 927s which give an honest 2.5 right out of the box
For the rear OME 948 springs and a set of 24-185660 Bilstein shocks , or better yet OME 132 L shocks
not sure what you are talking about 5100 can over lift ??????
I'd stick to 3 inches or so, then add in a regear to 4.10s to regain power and mileage with larger tires
Upper control arms from jeepinbyal, best out there and rebuildable
Teraflex front bumpstops and two per side hockey pucks bolted down to the spring perch in the rear for bumpstops
BDS shocks that came with that kit for the rear are a joke
Expensive kit for no more than what you get

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RRO uca are prob the best out there man in my opinion,been using those for a few yrs now no issues,they've handled everything I've thrown at them. Might even be a little less expensive than the jeepinbyal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
RRO uca are prob the best out there man in my opinion,been using those for a few yrs now no issues,they've handled everything I've thrown at them. Might even be a little less expensive than the jeepinbyal.
LMAO, you have not installed very many have you ? Total junk pieces
Then if there is any issues, it's your problem, you did something wrong since RRO never makes mistakes
One guy bought a set ( against my wishes ) they did not fit, RROs suggestion was to put the UCA in a vice and bend it till it fit
He sent them back, never did get a refund, one of several people who got messed up parts from RRO and never got their money back, my buddy has been waiting since 2005 for returned parts that did not fit
JBAs were there next evening a dropped right in, never any questions on them
If RRO was the only company supplying KJ lift parts , I'd sell all 3 and buy a KIA !!

Last edited:

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMAO, you have not installed very many have you ? Total junk pieces
Then if there is any issues, it's your problem, you did something wrong since RRO never makes mistakes
One guy bought a set ( against my wishes ) they did not fit, RROs suggestion was to put the UCA in a vice and bend it till it fit
He sent them back, never did get a refund, one of several people who got messed up parts from RRO and never got their money back, my buddy has been waiting since 2005 for returned parts that did not fit
JBAs were there next evening a dropped right in, never any questions on them
If RRO was the only company supplying KJ lift parts , I'd sell all 3 and buy a KIA !!

Only need to install 1 pair to see how good they are, well built good price and can take a beating..washboard,rock,sand mud doesnt really matter to those RRO uca's and it's my DD ..I use RRO in both my kj and xj with no issues. Gonna use RRO in the TJ we just added to the stable

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, SOME KNOW FROM YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
Your right man! I do know from years of experience, thank you for acknowledging that, the guy asked for an opinion I gave him mine and you gave him yours...I offroad my jeeps every wk multiple times for yrs so when I say something works for me it's because it does..I've only ever had to install 1 pair..think about that ,its cuz they work

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One pair...........
My 04 has a pair of the original 4.5s , well started out with a pair made by the original jeepinbyal ( Al Handy )
Then tested a set of JBA 4s after Marlin bought Al out, they needed tweaking some so first set of 4.5s went on the 04 for further testing , thats been way over 150,000 miles ago or maybe more and yes wheeled as well
Rest have went on ones that were lifted at my place , including a set on my 03
We've removed 5-6 sets of RROs to install JBAs due to various manufacturing defects which they would not cover
Have had brand new and used RROs laying on my workbench side by side of JBAs and I can tell you which looked the best overall, ( welding/bends etc )
Of course you know RRO just tried to copy the original Als work

So while I know you were voicing your experiences with RROs , every now and again a good set actually do slip through, but very rarely and customer service is terrible

thehellboundfox

Reaction score
FIRST THING stay the H away from RRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOTAL JUNK
Next, shocks, we have shocks in front, struts are on cars without upper control arms
Third, shocks do not provide lift, only springs do
Bilstein shocks in the 5100 series are a good shock so those will work in front ( just buy the normal Bilstein ones for a KJ )
So you still want to run the BDS front springs ?? If so adda top plate ( 1/4 inch thick ) Plus a clevis to get desired height , BDS do not give as much lift as OME 927s which give an honest 2.5 right out of the box
For the rear OME 948 springs and a set of 24-185660 Bilstein shocks , or better yet OME 132 L shocks
not sure what you are talking about 5100 can over lift ??????
I'd stick to 3 inches or so, then add in a regear to 4.10s to regain power and mileage with larger tires
Upper control arms from jeepinbyal, best out there and rebuildable
Teraflex front bumpstops and two per side hockey pucks bolted down to the spring perch in the rear for bumpstops
BDS shocks that came with that kit for the rear are a joke
Expensive kit for no more than what you get

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the insight.
Thinking I might just end up selling the new BDS springs and going the OME direction. Whats your experience with OME 790s ? Im running a 80 pound front bumper which at some point will have a winch on it and have front to back 1/8" steel skids.

As for the 5100s i spoke with a couple people who claim that even at the lowest setting (i think its 1.5") they got upwards of 4"s of lift and it made their vehicle un drivable, but now that you mention it saying that out loud it sounds like BS.

Curious if i were to run either 927s or 790s in the front with 5100s would it help or hurt me to continue running the BDS extended top hats ?

-Fox

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT run the BDS top plates if running other springs
790s are 500 lb springs with an ARB and winch on the 04 it was stiff at times for sure even after 5-6000 miles
shocks don't give lift so not even sure what those other people were talking about

thehellboundfox

Reaction score
DO NOT run the BDS top plates if running other springs
790s are 500 lb springs with an ARB and winch on the 04 it was stiff at times for sure even after 5-6000 miles
shocks don't give lift so not even sure what those other people were talking about

Thinking its decided then, 5100s and 927/948 combo plus some isos and spacers. What are my main concerns for lifting the rear ? I like a good half inch or maybe 1 whole inch of rake. plan on building an adjustable rear UCA kinda like the aftermarket ones for the WJ ive seen people run except its half the price to buy some enduro joints from barnes4x4 and make one my self. Besides pinion angle whats stopping me from going to say 3.5-4" in the rear ?

Thanks
-Fox

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They look better sitting level when lifted , why butt in the air ?

But if you like that look just do 927s in front and add one extra upper iso in the rear, that will give you 1/2 inch rake

thehellboundfox

Reaction score
When I built my roof rack I built it level with the vehicle (which had a rake at the time) so I dont really like the look of a level stance because then my roof rack is pointing noticeably upwards instead of level if ya know what i mean.

Thanks for all your advice
-Fox

wifeKJ

Reaction score
Is there anything special needed I.E spacers, washers, etc. when installing the 24-185660 rear shocks. I heard the N132L bolts right up but the bilsteins you need extra stuff.

wifeKJ

Reaction score
Also is the 24-185240 a good rear shock. 2002 Liberty

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online