Trip planning- emergency spare parts-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
As I plan out my 2022 Field season excursions I am putting together a shopping list of emergency spares. One of my mottos is “Plan to Self Rescue”

I have the standard stuff- tire repair, straps, nuts and bolts, bailing wire, hose patches, etc. etc.

Am looking for suggestions of spare parts like a serpentine belt, bushings, various boots and clamps and so on.

Idea isn’t full field repairs, just what would allow me to limp back to civilization.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated!

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend an Ignition Switch Actuator Pin. They can go bad without warning, but when you do, they leave you stranded. They take up very little space. I believe you need a T-10 security torx to replace it. There are a few videos on how to replace them.

Along with oil(s) as Tom mentioned, don't forget fuses.

I also have various sizes of hose clamps in my Jeep.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to keep my jackstands in the Bug.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I used to keep my jackstands in the Bug.
Got a set in the bug and my liberty. Either or could end up as a rescue vehicle for the wife's liberty... Though she swears she's gonna sell hers once spring hits for a down payment on one them Subaru "don't call it a station wagon"

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a set in the bug and my liberty. Either or could end up as a rescue vehicle for the wife's liberty... Though she swears she's gonna sell hers once spring hits for a down payment on one them Subaru "don't call it a station wagon"
You mean the 'F' word?:oops:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
250 piece socket set + allen keys, 3 foot 1/2" lug torque wrench, 60 piece bit driver, vice grips x3, wire 20 feet. Huge adjustable, pliers, cutter etc. Jeep lighter, + BIC X2, Waterproof matches, Tow straps x 2 also with a HD ratchet strap.
C-Clamps, Hack saw spare blades & woods saw, 6000lb jack & wood blocks. 18 volt impact, spare battery/charger. 1000 watt Inverter, + compressor. Jump cables. VOM.

Spare mopar thermostat, tensioner, hoses, hose clamps variable sizes. Sepentine belt. Quality Flashlights Led, Knives, electrical tape x2. Gorilla duct tape big roll.
Spare fuses headlight bulbs & others. Smaller shovel, Mud/ snow Traction pads. Phone a radio chargers, CB Radio 4 Watt hand held & GRS.
Small AGM 200Amp sealed battery for quick boosts. & jumper cables, OBD2 Reader etc.
5lb fire extinguisher.
Human needs: Candles, e-blankets-winter sleeping bag, Food packs, raisins, nuts etc, power bars, & few canned goods & can & opener, good vitamins & water bottles a must.
A good permanent marker with cardboard to leave a message.
My favorite..Couple of of wine bottles with corkscrew lol :)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
250 piece socket set + allen keys, 3 foot 1/2" lug torque wrench, 60 piece bit driver, vice grips x3, wire 20 feet. Huge adjustable, pliers, cutter etc. Jeep lighter, + BIC X2, Waterproof matches, Tow straps x 2 also with a HD ratchet strap.
C-Clamps, Hack saw spare blades & woods saw, 6000lb jack & wood blocks. 18 volt impact, spare battery/charger. 1000 watt Inverter, + compressor. Jump cables. VOM.

Spare mopar thermostat, tensioner, hoses, hose clamps variable sizes. Sepentine belt. Quality Flashlights Led, Knives, electrical tape x2. Gorilla duct tape big roll.
Spare fuses headlight bulbs & others. Smaller shovel, Mud/ snow Traction pads. Phone a radio chargers, CB Radio 4 Watt hand held & GRS.
Small AGM 200Amp sealed battery for quick boosts. & jumper cables, OBD2 Reader etc.
5lb fire extinguisher.
Human needs: Candles, e-blankets-winter sleeping bag, Food packs, raisins, nuts etc, power bars, & few canned goods & can & opener, good vitamins & water bottles a must.
A good permanent marker with cardboard to leave a message.
My favorite..Couple of of wine bottles with corkscrew lol :)
Lol, that’s a standard load out for me, save I have a trauma bag, IFAK, and sutures. It’s the Jeep parts I’m not sure of.

JibeHo22

Reaction score
A container of concentrated coolant and a separate container of water. If you carry them in separate containers, you can use the water for other purposes (drinking, etc.). If you actually need 50/50 coolant mix, you can always mix the two liquids at the time of need.
Just remember that the water is subject to freezing if you are going to be out overnight in cold conditions.
I would also suggest a tire valve stem replacement kit that allows replacing the valve stem from outside the wheel (e.g. ColbyValve.com).

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given my low post count, I cannot PM @LabRat or reply to your thread in the "Wanted" section.

Here are some center caps from eBay, these are the ones that use the lug nuts to hold in place (I prefer these) instead of screws from the backside.

eBay Center Caps

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So far:
Serpentine belt
Universal boots
Idler spare
Sway bar links
Generic 2 piece bushings
BAll joint band aid bolts
Standard tools
Standard backcountry load out
Assorted nuts, bolts, washers, etc
Clamps, ties, and other rigging
Patches and clamps for hose repair
JB weld paste and putty
Lug nuts
Recovery gear
Tire kit
Assorted fluids and lub.es
Assorted tape
Electrical kit
Jump starter
Given my low post count, I cannot PM @LabRat or reply to your thread in the "Wanted" section.

Here are some center caps from eBay, these are the ones that use the lug nuts to hold in place (I prefer these) instead of screws from the backside.

eBay Center Caps
thanks! I missed these!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I am looking over the lists of peoples idea of planning for a trip and just seeing things that I have daily in mine LOL
Yeah, I carry most of that stuff daily too. I’m out solo the entire month of July…going to hit all the US deserts…so spare parts are gonna be important. Heck, I’m takin a ball joint press, just in case. Gonna make last years trip look like a long weekend.

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score
As I plan out my 2022 Field season excursions I am putting together a shopping list of emergency spares. One of my mottos is “Plan to Self Rescue”

I have the standard stuff- tire repair, straps, nuts and bolts, bailing wire, hose patches, etc. etc.

Am looking for suggestions of spare parts like a serpentine belt, bushings, various boots and clamps and so on.

Idea isn’t full field repairs, just what would allow me to limp back to civilization.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated!
Drivehsafts and front axle shafts. Picked mine up at a wrecker. Don't need new ones to limp home.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drivehsafts and front axle shafts. Picked mine up at a wrecker. Don't need new ones to limp home.
Pull the front CVs if they go bad and then install good NAPA remanned ones when you get home
Have had to do that to some friends on a couple of wheeling trips
Rear most that could normally happen is a UJoint which I carry a spare daily