Trick to Passenger Side CV Axle Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

52804x4

Reaction score
Can anyone clue me in on how to separate the inner axle shaft from the outer. Trying to replace the axle haft-shaft and for the life of me can't find any info how to separate the two, since it came out when I pulled the half shaft.
My Google-Fu is week.
So is my YouTube-Fu!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you meant 3.7. mine did the same thing. I used a bench vise to hold the inner shaft (not on the bearing surface) and used a pry bar on lip if CV axle right next to the inner shaft, and pryed against the vise using a block of wood to get the spacing right. Usually these parts wear out together. If one is worn, it's like the other is too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ALWAYS, ALWAYS replace the Intermediate shaft , never reuse an old Intermediate with a new CV , unless you want to do it all over again in a few weeks
Also hopefully you bought a good CV, not one from one of the Zones etc that are too short
as far as separting, vice and 3 lb hammer

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question. Why always replace it? Both of mine I’ve taken out looked brand spanking new. Minus the o-ring.
I replaced the one on the 02 because thst was the “rule of thumb” but the 03 came out clean as a pickle too and I left
It alone.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Question. Why always replace it? Both of mine I’ve taken out looked brand spanking new. Minus the o-ring.
I replaced the one on the 02 because thst was the “rule of thumb” but the 03 came out clean as a pickle too and I left
It alone.
They wear together , replace one and the other, even if it does look good to the naked eye , is already somewhat worn, so then it wears the new part faster
Like installing new shocks and keeping old worn out, sagged springs, common sense

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I did notice unique wear where the shaft seal and bearing makes contact.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clue me in on how to separate the inner axle shaft from the outer. Trying to replace the axle haft-shaft and for the life of me can't find any info how to separate the two, since it came out when I pulled the half shaft.
My Google-Fu is week.
So is my YouTube-Fu!

How many miles does your ride have that it needs CV work? Thanks

52804x4

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to ghost this thread. I went back out to the garage a little bit after I posted this, and went to move the axle out of the way, and when I picked it up the two separated on their own . Go figure!
My CV's weren't bad by any means (133k miles) but, I figured since I was replacing the upper A's, ball joints, TRE's, and bushings, I might as well replace the CV's and wheel bearing/hubs while it was all torn apart. So now I have some trail spares to lug around with me.

Latest posts

Members online