Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny_Hurst

Reaction score
Hugh problem with 2005 liberty trans, got a limb caught under my Jeep that got hung up in front drive shaft, took out my brake line which in return wrapped around the drive shaft, the pulled my abs box into the valve cover busting a hole in it.
Then ripping all the wires out of the driver's side of my transmission!

Spliced a piece of harness into it and replaced input sensor and out put sensor fixed brake line new valve cover, it's throwing 2 codes p0700 and p0731 I pulled the pan because I thought the plug on the transmission valve body might of been bad and replaced it with a rebuilt valve body with new sensors and shift valves.
Same 2 codes are in it, I've erased them and after it shifts into 2 gear they come back on, fluid smelled great trans has 35 thousand miles on it since rebuilt, new filter and fluid, I didn't drive it 100 ft after the dash lite up, and had it towed home, any suggestions?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that limb causing so many problems. :(
I'm not sure but just wondering, if skid plates may have helped.
Did you have the front skid & transmission skid plate?
Suddenly off road, I'm now looking for a small chainsaw !

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Suddenly I feel like Crocodile Dundee.. "That's not a Saw" .. "This is a Saw"
You must be registered for see images attach

My camp saw works Great!
I would look for a small cordless chain saw, wonder how they work?

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my 2006 Jeep Liberty... I bought it "salvage" the last owner replaced the left rear brake line and didn't correctly run the line... It also got caught on the front drive shaft and wrapped around it... pulling the ABS module sideways and it very close to the drivers side valve cover... BUT my jeep also caught fire from the brake fluid draining onto the catalytic converter... It burnt the wiring harness going to the transmission and the ECM... It also burnt the 2WD/4WD select lever/transmission select lever/transmission harnesses/ the front carpet/ and the lower driver seat cushion... After many visits to my local "pull-a-part" salvage yard I now have a perfectly running jeep... I would suggest closely inspecting the damaged wiring harness as you may have a wire from the transmission speed sensor that may be pulled apart in the harness or at the sensor or even a bad sensor from being yanked on... You will go into "limp" mode if the ECM can't see and compare the two speed sensors (transmission input and output sensors) as it can't figure out what gear to select for what speed...

I'm a moderator on kia-forums.com (DavesSpectra) and have seen these codes and this sensor problem often...usually from a bad speed sensor...

I have spent many hours splicing and rerunning wires that were damaged in the fire and because there is a canbus "network" for most sensors just one wire can cause all kinds of problems...

I also thought about replacing the wiring harness but how it is run (behind the engine and above and around the transmission) I found repairing the harness even when it was burned was the correct procedure...
Dave

Danny_Hurst

Reaction score
I would find a complete with harness and replace the entire harness on the jeep.
I've tried and was lucky to find the piece I needed, people go to pull and pay places and ruin what ever they don't want or need.

Danny_Hurst

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that limb causing so many problems. :(
I'm not sure but just wondering, if skid plates may have helped.
Did you have the front skid & transmission skid plate?
Suddenly off road, I'm now looking for a small chainsaw !
No no skid plate but I will be making a few after I get this behind me.

Danny_Hurst

Reaction score
I've found a 2004 with the motor knocking for $300.00 bucks it's in nice shape but didn't have the battery in it or the keys to check the milage on it. Waiting on the guy to call me back after he gets the battery and key in it. Said you can still drive it so I'm thinking it may be a rocker or lifter, mine burns some oil so I would go threw it before I put it in, so I might as well fix the one in it and then take my time getting my transmission done.

budget76

Reaction score
I have a home depot 40 volt electric saw. Use it after the tree is down for limbs and safety. Use gas for big big limbs and the tree. Strongly recommend electric as a second, or first and only saw on the trail as you are doing only a few cuts. Naturally sharp or new chain is best. Yes, just reduced my inventory of saws to 3 gas and 1 electric. works for me.

Latest posts

Members online