Transmission shutter, finally fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought the 03 ( over 50,000 miles ago ) it's had a shutter when taking off. Right before it would shift at 52-5500 RPM there it would be for just a bit, annoying but....
2 fluid changes, to transmission shop my buddy has that has been doing trannys for over 30 years. His response, live with it.
Mike a fellow KJ owner/ mechanic / salesman/ jack of all trades kept telling me to get some Dr. ****** Instant Shudder Fixx, made by Lubeguard. Finally broke down and bought a tube of it. Poured it in yesterday, drove about 5 miles, on way to work where she always gets the cobwebs blown out, no shudder, smoother shifts, ran much better
Stopped 4 times coming home for full launches to try it and does great
So , the magical elixer works it seems, at least for a day LOL

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear that the Dr. ****** Instant Shudder Fix by Lubegard works.
I do not have any shudder as you described Tom, but have been using the LubeGard Red bottle of Transmission additive, with each trans service for years, with good success.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The shudder is fairly common with the CRDs, usually the torque converter trying to self destruct. Good thing you've got a gasser!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The shudder in my old KJ's ****** ended up being fixed with a TransGo shift kit. I couldn't band-aid that after awhile... I could at first. Just a heads up... that might be the direction you're heading.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LMAO, oh well on the shift kit, but there has been one in mine since Day 3 of ownership.