Transmission shifting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my KJ, I've noticed that it shifts weird like when you're coming to a stop.
For example, let's say you're going up a small incline and have to stop at a stop sign. You don't actually come to a complete a stop, just slow down and keep moving. When you're slowing down, the transmission down shifts because it thinks you're stopping. When you hit the gas again to start going, the transmission is still thinking that it should be down shifting and stays in second gear, then realizes what's going on and slams into first gear. This happens quite a bit, but I've kinda gotten used to it and now I know how to drive it.
But I was wondering of anyone else has experienced something like this?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, coming to a stop but not stopping.. or Starting but not increasing speed.. ****** always acts up. I don't if there is any version # you can check somewhere and get it updated at the dealer if they have a new code.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that damn slack. I want that tightened up! Grrrrr
Sometimes mine acts as if it is stuck on 1st when I am accell. I learned to control it though

2003KJ

Reaction score
As mentioned, normal. You'll learn to compensate for it, and learn to expect when it's going to do it. Took me a while to get used to it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Jeep Thing, baby...........................

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I kinda thought it was normal but wasn't sure. And I am starting to get used to it, so now I can anticipate it before it happens. But, on the other hand, my wife is NOT so used to it...so I've gotta show her what I'm talking about I guess! director.gif

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats is completely normal. we have had many customers come in worrying something was wrong. the way it is designed sorry to say.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. You'll get used to it, I have and hardly notice it anymore.