Transmission Re-Learn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I believe my 42RLE is finally going out to pasture.

I've been exploring multiple routes such as having a shop rebuild it, replacing it myself with a reman, etc.

If I replace it myself, I keep hearing of a relearn period or program.

Is there any way I can relearn it from my garage? Or would I need a shop with a scan tool to completely reprogram it?

"If the Powertrain Control Module or the Transmission has been repaired or replaced, it is necessary to perform the scan tool Quick Learn Procedure. " - From 2006-SM

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you serviced the trans filter & ATF+4 fluid?
Yes there is a way to perform a re-learn.
However, since your trans is acting up, what is it doing?
You may want to get the electronically controlled trans scanned first with a pro shop scanner. Any trans shop can help there.
Check the CVI clutch volume index and view solenoid operations.

The re-learn = remove both battery terminals bolt or tape them together for 30 min & then turn ignition on.
Then ignition off, re-attach both battery cables, start jeep.
I would shift it from 1st into 2nd into Drive, pausing a bit with each shift, allowing for solenoids to operate.

Reaction score
Have you serviced the trans filter & ATF+4 fluid?
Yes there is a way to perform a re-learn.
However, since your trans is acting up, what is it doing?
You may want to get the electronically controlled trans scanned first with a pro shop scanner. Any trans shop can help there.
Check the CVI clutch volume index and view solenoid operations.

The re-learn = remove both battery terminals bolt or tape them together for 30 min & then turn ignition on.
Then ignition off, re-attach both battery cables, start jeep.
I would shift it from 1st into 2nd into Drive, pausing a bit with each shift, allowing for solenoids to operate.

I'm about 75% certain my torque converter is letting go. Cars getting a shudder only when the jeep is warm (Up to engine and trans temp) and at certain speeds/RPM's.

Trans was serviced a few hundred miles ago, new filter, gasket, pan, and a fluid drain and refill with proper ATF+4. Wasn't throwing any codes at the time, and still isn't. (At least not to my knowledge.)

I have an appt with another shop this weekend thats going to run diagnostics and a test drive on it.

I'm more wondering if I decide to do the swap myself - With a whole new trans - What's required to get it to talk with the car properly?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on it?
Try adding a 1/2 can of SeaFoam Trans Tune and see if that helps, as many times the valve body or solenoids could be the issue, as sticking or gummed up.
Communication is still thru the OBD2 system for diagnostics.
As this is an 07 cross over year to the 08KK, you may be best to just have your 42RLE rebuilt, and then you would have warranty.
Otherwise find a donor 07, and even then I'd ask the trans shop to reference the trans serial # for exact replacement.

Reaction score
How many miles on it?
Try adding a 1/2 can of SeaFoam Trans Tune and see if that helps, as many times the valve body or solenoids could be the issue, as sticking or gummed up.
As this is an 07 cross over year to the 08KK, you may be best to just have your 42RLE rebuilt, and then you would have warranty.
Otherwise find a donor 07, and even then I'd ask the trans shop to reference the trans serial # for exact replacement.

185K. Stock as far as I know, previous owner had it since 36K and never mentioned a transmission replacement.

Reaction score
How many miles on it?

I’ve only got 2 really good trans shops around me, and one quoted me for more than it would cost me to buy a reman myself.

other one I have an appt with on Friday.