Transmission question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ixian

Reaction score
Liberty gurus,
Still a newbie here, sorry so many questions. My Renny only has 800 miles!
My next stupid question is when you shift from reverse to drive, do most of you experience a 1-2 second lag before you feel a "bump" and it engages? :-k All of my other cars have been standard transmissions so this is different for me. Very nice not having to shift during traffic jams though!
And on a side note, I've been lurking here for some time and this is a really nice/helpful forum. My old car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse...you should see how that forum got. (argue)

Liberty padawan learner,
Bobby

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there's a lag. It's best to give it that second or two, or you'll lash the drivetrain.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea I just wait 2 seconds before giving it lots of fuel, so it doesn't squack the tires. Our F150 does the same thing, it has a 2 second shifting period.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 libby sport used to do that....it 'banged' into gear....i noticed that my new renny is a lot smoother.

socalrenegade

Reaction score
shudder/lag in reverse

Ok, this is what my dealer says. The trans pump pick-up is in the rear of the ****** pan. If you are on a slope of any kind "rear in the air" the pump grabs air resulting in insufficient clutch pressure for the clutch packs. Hence the trans is slipping. This will result in worn clutches and an inevitable trans failure. How's that for the quality us jeep owners are expecting. If you try too long to back up while it is shuddering or just plain not backing up a grade it will overheat and the trans temp light will eliminate. I have 5200 miles on my 05 and it goes in next week for a new valve body and possibly trans overhaul depending on whether they find metal shavings in the pan. They think they likely will. I'll keep yall posted.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the "rachet" sound coming from all dodge caravans & other minivans like it and my libby as well. Seems a little odd but as long as it doesn't get any louder. I figure it's a design flaw of some sort.

rob

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
isnt the solenoid or something?...makin that sound....

i know ford's also make em sounds..not as loud as dcx's tho...
i think it's cool, to have that buzz....expecially when 5 kj's all shift one after the other..and it all buzz's one after another

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yes, solenoids smoothing out the shift. Through every shift, you can hear it, upshift and downshift. However, our KJs are so loud, but in those minivans, you can hear those solenoids go!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes it is the solenoids. The buzzing you hear it them opening to let fluid into the gears so the ****** will shift. completely normal.

I hear ALOT of chrysler mommy vans doing that....as well as sebrings and several other chrysler automatics.

KY Liberty

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a 42RLE transmission. Can you even order a 3.7 Liberty with the 45RFE or 5-45RFE?

bornbrit

Reaction score
trans clunking(rear)

Yep, my 05 limited does the same thing from reverse to drive not all the time but enough to make you think you made a mistake buying the car,making sure you give it a lttle time a sec or 2 to make up its mind seems to do it...anyone have long shifts between gears on the 4 speed auto,sometimes its as smooth and quick other times it has longer shift times if you know what I mean.I have heard a few members comment that the 4 speed auto is a little quirky could this mean trouble down the line, I have 2100 miles

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to JeepKJCountry! \:D/ =D>

I doubt it means trouble down the line. I'm pretty happy with my transmission. I do kinda wish it would shift a little faster. I haven't driven many vehicles in my 18 year old life, but the KJ is by far the best one ever. I hope you're enjoying yours!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Re: trans clunking(rear)

bornbrit said:
Yep, my 05 limited does the same thing from reverse to drive not all the time but enough to make you think you made a mistake buying the car,making sure you give it a lttle time a sec or 2 to make up its mind seems to do it...anyone have long shifts between gears on the 4 speed auto,sometimes its as smooth and quick other times it has longer shift times if you know what I mean.I have heard a few members comment that the 4 speed auto is a little quirky could this mean trouble down the line, I have 2100 miles

I've got almost 24,000 miles on my 2003 with the 42 ******. No problems as of yet. I've also driven a KJ with the 45 in it and yes there is a noticeable difference in how it shifts, and the shift points while accelerating, mainly 2nd to 3rd under normal acceleration is quite short. But at the same time, both are pretty quirky. Get used to it, Jeeps are quirky vehicles....LOL......just part of owning one.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my transmission sounds great, no lag at all going into/out of reverse

sorry, I couldn't resist :p