Transmission Problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im having serious transmission issues. I have a 2002 with a 3.7 and a 45RFE my KJ has 95,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday i was driving the jeep was behaving normally. i was coming down a very steep grade so i cut of overdrive to have the engine keep the jeep from pickin up speed. About 10 minutes later im driving along and the jeep starts jerking. When the jerk happens it sounds and feels as if the torque converter is locking unlocking. The next part scared the shit out of me. When the transmission has no load on it and is coasting or braking i get a horrible grinding sound and jerkiness. If i apply slight throttle while braking the grinding doesn't happen basically if you keep a load on the transmission at all times it will not do this grinding thing. It seems to be shifting normally. The only other thing i noticed was that when i stopped for gas it didn't go into park normally the car rolled a few feet and a few seconds later it went into park. i parked it and don't plan on driving it until i can resolve the issue. The transmission has been serviced normally and i checked the fluid level and it is at the normal level.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the TCM could be faulty. I had a similar problem in my xj and I got a TCM for 40$ off ebay and problem fixed, because the transmission is full of servos controlled electronically by the tcm and when the tcm becomes faulty all sorts crazy thing can happen especially when your talking about electronics in a transmission.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No its not throwing any codes, i hooked up my scanner. The only other thing i forgot to mention is i just replaced the last week TPS which i know the transmission uses for certain functions. I don't know if the TPS could cause any problems like this i doubt it but just checking.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the TCM is getting weird or erratic signals from the TPS it could make the ****** act all wonky. Double check your connections.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:The throttle position sensor connections are good... now the transmission grinds every time i try to put it in gear.. ive tried reverse and everything. I cannot get it into gear it makes a horrible grinding sound!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for S's/G's check your shifter cable. Something you said about it not engaging park right away makes me wonder if that is a little off. It's pretty easy to pop it off and see if the arm is clicking into the detent like it's supposed to.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive checked everything out that i could think of or that has been suggested..... It is something to do with the transfer case. If i put it it 4wd LOW it doesnt grind and engages and drives normally for 4wd low...... The grinding is the transfer case not the transmission.... i inspected the linkage and it looks as if the linkage was supposed to have something else holding it on there is a rubber grommet around a metal piece the grommet looks chewed up a bit and it slides on and off with almost no force by hand it looks as if there was at one time some sort of nut or something on the end..... could the linkage just be out of adjustment and its not engaging the T-case properly?