Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbspm

Reaction score
My Liberty is a 2004 model 4wd. I'm not sure which transmission mine has but last week it started throwing transmission codes. It started with P1776 and a P0700 last week and it locked itself in second gear. I cleared those codes (to see what happened) and they stayed gone for a week and everything felt fine.

Then the second time, it felt like it didn't want to stay in gear this time I got a P0733 P0734 and P0700 codes. I cleared those and within about 3 miles got a P0732, P0846 in addition to the previous three codes.

What could be going on with my transmission? I've parked the Jeep until I figure it out, but when the codes are cleared it shifts perfectly for a little while so it seems like a sensor of some sort rather than the transmission itself.

Thanks in advance, this is just confusing me

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on your KJ? When was the last time the trans was serviced with new ATF+4 fluid & filter? Is this a gas Jeep or diesel?

mtbspm

Reaction score
It's at 102,000 and it's the v6 gas engine. I haven't serviced it. It was an item I was getting ready to have done with the next oil change.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I service the Trans at dealership every 50 k miles to keep the ATF+4 fluid clean, and friction modifiers in top shape. Your fluid is now quite old. Does the dipstick fluid smell burnt?
The dealer has the correct machine to remove all the old fluid, & install the new & program it back to new fluid as a re-learn.
What is important to know is are there any particles in the pan? Just dropping the pan only removes 50% of the fluid as much remains in the torque converter.
It is hard to guess with all the codes if issues all relate to a stuck or malfunctioning solenoid/s, or readings from the CVI clutch volume index to know if clutch's performing within specs.
If it was my Jeep right now I would want to know after driving for 20 minutes where the fluid level sits when hot.
Can you add a half or more of the can safely of "Seafoam Trans-tune" which may help to clean the valve interior body/solenoids after driving for a hundred miles if possible?

Byron

Reaction score
Full disclosure I am a new member and not qualified to answer what you should do with transmission trouble.

That said I was very apprehensive about an older 2001 Dodge Transmission that started making some noise and slipping. I read through on here and other forums how important it is to use atf+4 and change the fluid often. Sure enough it was easier than I thought and the whir sound was the pump pulling fluid through an old filter. After buying my son a Liberty the first thing we did was change the fluids and it’s not difficult for a novice DIY’er.

I think the advice above it great to get all the old fluid out with a professional flush preferably at the dealer to clear codes, but if it’s any kinda drive to get there, a change to see what it looks like before you take it in would be time and money well spent.

mtbspm

Reaction score
I got off work early today so I'm planning to do a fluid and filter change with the seafoam transmission additive this afternoon. How likely is it to be just dirty fluid and not something more serious? I'm about a block away from a decent transmission shop so getting work done isn't a huge problem, I'm just really trying to figure out how far to dig into my pockets, or what to try if fluids aren't enough.

Byron

Reaction score
I was surprised at the difference it made for us, so you might get lucky. They way you described it, the problem does clear for a period of time. Possible that’s when it heats up and struggles with old fluid cleaning it out might free whatever is sticking. LibertyTC advice is spot on. My comment really is to say it made a big difference and wasn’t all that difficult

mtbspm

Reaction score
I just changed fluid, not a full flush, but a change. The fluid looked really dirty but nothing alarming otherwise.

Upon driving the shifts are much smoother but there’s a decent amount of whine as I drive now

Byron

Reaction score
Like LibertyTC had said you are only getting about 50% of the fluid changed and if you are seeing and feeling improvement already you might be ok after a full flush. Some of those additives do more damage than good and some work wonders.

I’ll trust that the Sea-Foam suggested is probably one of the better ones to use then have the dealer or shop give it a full flush.

My whir whine sound went away in the old Dodge I was talking about once I got good clean fluid at the right level. The Liberty is a project for my son and I and we have been doing the maintenance as a learning experience rather than a necessity

mtbspm

Reaction score
Fluid levels show properly on the dipstick. I may drive it for the weekend to see if it improves. It’s going to get a full flush either way, but I want to see if something else is up before I take it to have that service performed.

Byron

Reaction score
There is a thread in general discussion named required fluid types with some helpful notes and comments. They might help explain the whine with newer fluid, but it sounds like you might be lucky like we were with fluid flush and filter fixing the issue. Please keep us updated,it’s nice to know when you go back and read the old threads that people did get the issue resolved and what worked

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just changed fluid, not a full flush, but a change. The fluid looked really dirty but nothing alarming otherwise.
Upon driving the shifts are much smoother but there’s a decent amount of whine as I drive now
Did the fluid smell burnt like a bad clutch smelll? Were there any particles in the pan?
Did you use ATF+4 trans fluid?
Did you add the entire can of Seafoam trans tune if so, have the dealer use the re-circulation/ flush machine within 250 miles of driving, may be best.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a transmission pan with a drain plug from Rock Auto to make future drain and fills easier. I used the Seafoam trans tune before I removed the pan and changed the filter and I swear I felt it when some gunk got knocked loose.
Risoline makes a transmission additive product that I have used in the past on older cars. Maybe that will help?

mtbspm

Reaction score
UPDATE... after about a month, it seems to have solved itself. There’s. I more whine at all. I’m going to take it to a shop after payday and have it fully flushed. I’m betting there was a fluid passage blocked up somewhere that’s gotten freed up again.

Latest posts

Members online