Transmission fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

Reaction score
My 2005 has 110k miles on it. Pretty sure the transmission fluid has never been changed. I’ve been given mixed information about changing it or leave it alone because the new fluids might cause things to wear faster.

Should I leave it be or change it out?

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always "change" mine every 25k miles or so. By that I mean drain out, then refill, not a full flush. Some vehicles have filters, some don't. Just replace what was taken out with the same quantity and the right type for the vehicle.

On my 2008 Liberty, I dropped the pan to get the filter out and replaced about what came out, and a new filter.

There is no drain plug on mine, I don't know about yours. You can add a drain plug or get a new pan with a drain plug, but then you probably won't be changing the filter with your "changes".
dc

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed mine at about the same mileage or more, no problems. Issues usually arise with a full flush on an older unkept transmission. I say spill, filter, and fill.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the pan, replace the filter, put 4-5 new qts of ATF+4 in as needed. It'll be fine.

Don't, however, have the transmission flushed. That's not a good plan on a transmission with an unknown maintenance history.

Reaction score
I have yet to find a trans shop around me that will do a flush on any oldish trans. All they do is what's stated above. Pan drop, filter if needed and refill.

JONESAN8R

Reaction score
I got a 03 libby Renegade 5 speed.whats the best fluid to use when I change transmission fluid.i like AMS OIL really well but this is first jeep I ever owned.any ideas guys or girls

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. If you have your 2003 owners manual, the fluid spec & capacity for the manual transmission will be in there.
Just got off the phone from Dealer part # recommended for 2003 KJ is 04874464 AC (AC is now added as new part # / update)
I would recommend the dealer fluid.
See this thread: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/manual-transmission-oil-replace-questions.60859/
Good thread with fill and drain plug photos etc 4th post down: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/2004-kj-need-assistance-with-manual-transmission-fluid-change.52201/

JONESAN8R

Reaction score
I just found that part # in my manual this morning.when typed in Google it brings up mopar manual ****** fluid but no weight description and also says use 75w140 or 90 if hauling things.ill just go with regular mopar fluid.thanks for the answer brother appreciate it.also I found a website while searching called quadratec sells nothing but jeep parts might help you in future if you ain't heard of it already

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good I would get the Mopar 04874464 AC part number. 2 quarts.
The 6 speed is a Synchromesh & on the Mopar bottle mentions, DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-9224 that you can google.

The towing/hauling specs relates to the the rear differential.
Rear diff gets hot & we recommend dino gear .oil over synthetics.
I use Lucas 85w-140 dino. Change the rear diff gear .oil every 30-35k miles.
If your Jeep has a Trac-lok limited slip rear diff, a 4 oz bottle of mopar fluid needs to be added as well.
You can get your build sheet here & see if you have Trac-Lok rear diff: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/build-sheet.64657/

Attachments

• Limited Slip Additive.jpg
    Limited Slip Additive.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4