Transmission cooler line leak temp fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednel

Reaction score
I spotted a leak from my transmission cooler lines on my 03 Liberty.

I'm not sure I want to tackle the full replacement with the Mopar one as it might just be better to get my garage to do that on their hoist.

But I did wonder if I could cut these pipes with a Dremel and put a small length of 3/8th? transmission hose lines over the pipes, gear clamp them at both ends and at least drive the car over to the garage - rather than a tow.

What do people think?

You must be registered for see images attach

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought transmission cooler lines to do that to mine. Putting two clamps on each side. My understanding is the transmission cooler lines are low pressure and shouldn’t have a problem replacing them. I am by no means an expert though.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Once started is it really pouring out or just dripping? You should be able to drive it to shop with Oem Parts if possible.
IMHO replace the Mopar lines, it will be the best long lasting solution, with good piece of mind.

Rednel

Reaction score
I bought transmission cooler lines to do that to mine. Putting two clamps on each side. My understanding is the transmission cooler lines are low pressure and shouldn’t have a problem replacing them. I am by no means an expert though.

Good to know, thanks.

Rednel

Reaction score
Once started is it really pouring out or just dripping? You should be able to drive it to shop with Oem Parts if possible.
IMHO replace the Mopar lines, it will be the best long lasting solution, with good piece of mind.

It's just dripping right now, so if I checked my fluid before leaving it might be ok as my mechanic is a 10 mins drive away. I will see if they can estimate how long it might take them to do. Thanks for your advice.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Mopar lines on eBay and installed them in my driveway. I needed a pan drop and filter change anyway.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m cheap. I’d cut the line(s) with a tubing cutter, NOT a cut-off wheel.

Not using a tubing cutter you’ll get metal shavings/flakes/ whatever you want to call them in the fluid.

Then reconnect with ATF rated hose with two clamps on each side. Top off ATF.

Next step I’d do is drive it until something else broke and not worry about the hose in the cooler line(s).

Rednel

Reaction score
I’m cheap. I’d cut the line(s) with a tubing cutter, NOT a cut-off wheel.

Not using a tubing cutter you’ll get metal shavings/flakes/ whatever you want to call them in the fluid.

Then reconnect with ATF rated hose with two clamps on each side. Top off ATF.

Next step I’d do is drive it until something else broke and not worry about the hose in the cooler line(s).

Thanks for these useful insights. I'm Scottish so I get called cheap too! Did the ATF fluid come gushing out when you tried this or was it thick enough when cold that you had time to work with it quickly?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for these useful insights. I'm Scottish so I get called cheap too! Did the ATF fluid come gushing out when you tried this or was it thick enough when cold that you had time to work with it quickly?

I haven’t had to on the Jeep yet, but have done it on several other vehicles. A lot of how much comes out really depends on where it’s cut. Shouldn’t really lose any more than 1/2 quart or so I’d think. Repair the lines, check fluid level, add a little if needed. Then warm the trans and check level again in neutral while running. Top off as needed.