transmission cooler bolt holes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAT

Reaction score
There are two bolt holes in the front of my Liberty on the driver’s side. My friend says it looks like they are there for an optional transmission cooler and he’s seen such coolers mounted in that area on other 05 Liberties, but he also said he didn’t see the holes on any other non-cooler equipped Liberties. Any thoughts?

You must be registered for see images

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps someone at the dealer removed it and put in on another vehicle before they sold it to you, strange and troubling this is.... :-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u have the ****** cooler, its that little radiator to the left in that pic. those holes are for a power steering cooler.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's right. I think I remember someone else posting that the trans. cooler is now standard, but I could be mistaken.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what an '04 does not have without the tow package? Does it have a trans cooler, or is that just with the tow package?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have the aux ****** cooler grogiefrog. one thing ive never been able to figure out is if we get a different radiator with the tow pack. on the 02-03 libbys they had a cooler in the main radiator and its own seperate cooler. we just have the seperate cooler, but ive always wondered if they put a different MAIN radiator on 04's with the tow pack so it includes the cooler in it also. But we dont have the power steering cooler, clutched fan, or the hitch its self.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
we have the aux ****** cooler grogiefrog. one thing ive never been able to figure out is if we get a different radiator with the tow pack. on the 02-03 libbys they had a cooler in the main radiator and its own seperate cooler. we just have the seperate cooler, but ive always wondered if they put a different MAIN radiator on 04's with the tow pack so it includes the cooler in it also. But we dont have the power steering cooler, clutched fan, or the hitch its self.

I have been thinking of adding the tow package. I might consider buying another KJ later in the fall (like the CRD), so if I do, I might not. I really only need one for towing. But I don't know about a second KJ. A Wrangler would be a nice addition, but not as practical.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
jeepjeepster said:

I have been thinking of adding the tow package. I might consider buying another KJ later in the fall (like the CRD), so if I do, I might not. I really only need one for towing. But I don't know about a second KJ. A Wrangler would be a nice addition, but not as practical.

The unlimited is more practical if you are looking for a Wrangler, but take it from a guy who has owned a couple in the past (including a recent one) the KJ is far more comfy for use as an everyday driver, the Wrangler can get kind of grating as an everyday mate. But they are loads of fun....it would be a tough decision for me as well, but I think I would go with the CRD, but that is just me. :-k

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
The unlimited is more practical if you are looking for a Wrangler, but take it from a guy who has owned a couple in the past (including a recent one) the KJ is far more comfy for use as an everyday driver, the Wrangler can get kind of grating as an everyday mate. But they are loads of fun....it would be a tough decision for me as well, but I think I would go with the CRD, but that is just me. :-k

I always wanted a Wrangler when I was lived in Colorado. When it came time to actually buy a Jeep, the KJ just made more sense. And if the CRD does get 26 or even 28 as they say on the highway, it would be an acceptable daily driver (I drive 60 miles a day to work). I'd just get the Sport myself. We'll see how it turns out. It looks impressive, and would make a nice tow vehicle.