Transfer Case Shifter Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryback

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last night i had to tow my Liberty (04,2.4 4WD) because of loose transfer case shifter.It was moving freely could not move the jeep.I thought that cable is snapped but well, the service guy said it was off but could snap any moment.He suggested me to replace it ASAP.They were lookin' very eager to hand me 300+ bill to replace the complete shifter assembly but they didn't have it in stock (Thank God).
I checked the known websites and yes the shifter cable is sold as complete assembly and was over 260$.
I also checked few threads around everybody was talking about the bushing on the transfer case side not the shifter side.
Is there any way to make sure that lengthen its life without replacing the complete assembly?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take the shifter and cable assembly out for inspection. The transfer case can be set in whatever position you like with the lever on the case from under the jeep.

A wrecking yard should be able to sell you a used one. You want to make sure you replace it with the same command-trac or selec-trac shifter - they have different lengths of travel.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any instructions how to replace the cable? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.