Transfer case fluid???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slugger103

Reaction score
As I've stated before, I originally purchased a 2004 KJ Limited that the ex-wife has been driving for the past 16 years and she just gave it back to me. As part of due diligence to keep this 207K mile vehicle on the road one of my 1st tasks is to change every fluid I can so I know what is in there and to check for any damage along the way - 3.7L auto trans with full-time 4x4.

Today it was the transfer case (NV242). I can tell she had it changed at least once by ??? because there was Teflon tape around the drain plug...something I seriously doubt is factory original. When I drained the fluid, gear oil came out (NOT ATF+4). I just double-checked the service manual and it does say it should be serviced with ATF+4.

How much damage could be done if it's been running with gear oil instead of ATF? I would assume that it had ATF in it from the factory and whomever changed it since put gear oil back in instead.

I think I getting a headache.......

Slugger103

Reaction score
Well....just got in contact with the ex. She said she's never had the diff's or transfer case fluids changed. 207K miles - never a fluid change and it still drives. Maybe it was so worn out it just looked like old gear oil. No red or pink color to it - in fact it looked amber like gear oil. I dunno.

I think I'll take the cautious route and spend some extra money on extra ATF+4. Fill, run up & down the streets going between 2x4 & full time 4x4, drain, refill again for a couple cycles to flush any old liquid out and give it a renewed life with fresh ATF. That's all I can think of.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
My Jeep is new to me this summer and I wanted to change the transfer case oil out to see what shape it was in. It looked like yellow gear oil too when it came out along with what it looked fine metal.
ATF+4 went in and I installed a glass sight glass as I want to see the level and also how quick the color changes without removing the fill plug. I filled it on a slight slope so on level ground, the level is half way (in the middle) on the sight glass.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When I drained the fluid, gear oil came out (NOT ATF+4). I just double-checked the service manual and it does say it should be serviced with ATF+4.
You can distinguish gear oil by the smell, eek. ATF+4 would not have stank.

Reaction score
Well....just got in contact with the ex. She said she's never had the diff's or transfer case fluids changed. 207K miles - never a fluid change and it still drives. Maybe it was so worn out it just looked like old gear oil. No red or pink color to it - in fact it looked amber like gear oil. I dunno.

I think I'll take the cautious route and spend some extra money on extra ATF+4. Fill, run up & down the streets going between 2x4 & full time 4x4, drain, refill again for a couple cycles to flush any old liquid out and give it a renewed life with fresh ATF. That's all I can think of.

I have read places where gear oil is used in the 231 and 242 to quiet them down, kind of muffles the gear and chain noise and such, but other than that I'm not sure why it would be swapped out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have read places where gear oil is used in the 231 and 242 to quiet them down, kind of muffles the gear and chain noise and such, but other than that I'm not sure why it would be swapped out.
Most times that is done by *holes who are selling one and everything is worn out OR they just don't care and will do anything besides repairing it right