Transfer case Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeordieJeep

Reaction score
I have a 04 KJ Rocky Mountain Edition
3.7L, 42RLE trans, 242-J t-case, Trac-Lock, skids, tire package, towing package, etc

My T-case is NFG and needs replacement, luckily I have 22 KJ's to choose from between the local wreckers, half of which will have a 242-J.

I know the 04 is a one year only for the engine so my question is does this apply to the transfer case as well. "Electrical etc" or will any KJ 242-J just hook up fine.
If it's an 04 only which would be my best bet but that leaves me with just 1 Jeep to go look at.

What is a good way to test the condition of a used t-case at the wreckers before fully pulling it out?

J.C.

Reaction score
I have a 04 KJ Rocky Mountain Edition
3.7L, 42RLE trans, 242-J t-case, Trac-Lock, skids, tire package, towing package, etc

My T-case is NFG and needs replacement, luckily I have 22 KJ's to choose from between the local wreckers, half of which will have a 242-J.

I know the 04 is a one year only for the engine so my question is does this apply to the transfer case as well. "Electrical etc" or will any KJ 242-J just hook up fine.
If it's an 04 only which would be my best bet but that leaves me with just 1 Jeep to go look at.

What is a good way to test the condition of a used t-case at the wreckers before fully pulling it out?
What has caused the failure of your transfer case?

My 2006/2007 KJ had a failed rear CV joint, and the "242 J" transfer case started making horrible metal/metal screeching noises when 4WD was engaged. I was in the middle of a remote trip, so had to keep driving it for about 3,000km to get to a decent mechanic. The screeching stopped after a week or so, but the vehicle now suffers from a bad vibration that starts at about 70km/hr. I have been told that the front output shaft bearings fail due to the failed CV joints, so am looking for another transfer case, also. RockAuto has a listing for them, but as I am in Australia, the Core Deposit and Freight costs are losses to me.

The same part number is listed to fit 2002-2007.

Last edited: