trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the factory tow package, then you have the clutch fan and electric fan with additional coolers.

dnm45227

Reaction score
You may be looking at the powersteering cooler. If you have any space between the engine and the fan shroud, then you most likely don't have the HD fan, trans, or oil cooler that comes with the tow package.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepheep said:
My 05 renny has A factory cooler does this meen it has the up grade in fan also?

Look under the hood. If you see two fans (one electric and one attached to the pulley system) then you heavy duty cooling.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolers

Every libby comes with a ****** and power-steering cooler as far as I know. The 2nd fan and the size of the shroud are the differences in the tow package.

They are shown in the parts catalog if you have one.

Trans. Cooler
Group 007-Cooling, page 75 of my parts catalog

Power Steering Cooler
Group 019-710-Steering, page 257 of the catalog

If I had adobe I'd post the pages but I dun't....

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'll defer to greater knowlegde if I'm wrong, and probably am. However, I'm pretty sure the only way to get the trans cooler is to get the tow package or a crd.

I've owned three kj's in the last 18 months and the only one that has had a trans cooler is the crd. From what I've been told, the crd's come with all the coolers stock.

Like I said, most likely wrong but the two gassers have only had power steering coolers.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clear some things up. The libbys with the 45rfe ******(2002), have a PS cooler, and a ****** cooler built into the main engine radiator(Aux ****** cooler with towing pack). When they went to the 42rle ******, they took the PS cooler away(Only comes on libbys with tow pack after 03) and gave you a ****** cooler. The engine driven fan only came with towing pack also.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is so much conflicting info out there on this. All I know is that my 2005 without the tow package has both the ****** and PS coolers. Very possible this has changed with the yearly models due to the many differing opinions.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Just to clear some things up. The libbys with the 45rfe ******(2002), have a PS cooler, and a ****** cooler built into the main engine radiator(Aux ****** cooler with towing pack). When they went to the 42rle ******, they took the PS cooler away(Only comes on libbys with tow pack) and gave you a ****** cooler. The engine driven fan only came with towing pack also.

I have both a PS and ****** cooler, but not the tow package with the 42rle

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the dealer was correct when I bought mine (yea who knows about that) they told me that all 05's and anything to the future with the auto trans would have the trans cooler regardless of tow package or not. The only additional item the tow package would add would be the secondary electric fan in front of the radiator.

Now if you have the crd, then you get the second fan regardless.

So what it boils down to, is that if you have an 05 or an 06 with the auto, then you got all the coolers, and are just missing the fan.

At least thats what the dealer tells me.

I know mine has the coolers, checked already before I started towing with it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:
Just to clear some things up. The libbys with the 45rfe ******(2002), have a PS cooler, and a ****** cooler built into the main engine radiator(Aux ****** cooler with towing pack/Off-road pack,also an engine driven fan with the towing pack). When they went to the 42rle ******, they took the PS cooler away(Only comes on libbys with tow pack/offroad-pack) and gave you a ****** cooler. The engine driven fan only came with towing pack also.

You have the Off-Road group then, if you dont then something is going on that Idk about. I know you didnt have a gas tank skid, so maybe you do not have the offroad group, or did you take it off? Im fairly sure I was right about everything I said up top. Maybe something changed in 03 that IDk about? You told me you do not have 2 fans, right? IM GETTING CONFUSED!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
If the dealer was correct when I bought mine (yea who knows about that) they told me that all 05's and anything to the future with the auto trans would have the trans cooler regardless of tow package or not. The only additional item the tow package would add would be the secondary electric fan in front of the radiator.

Now if you have the crd, then you get the second fan regardless.

So what it boils down to, is that if you have an 05 or an 06 with the auto, then you got all the coolers, and are just missing the fan.

At least thats what the dealer tells me.

I know mine has the coolers, checked already before I started towing with it.

They were right about part of that, the gassers do not have a pusher fan like the crds. The only reason the crds use that, is to save space under the hood. The gassers with the towing pack get an engine driven fan. So thats one electric fan and one engine driven fa.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here we go... Here is my trans cooler. Clicky the pics for a better view. Just realizing I need to clear some of those damn bugs off my radiator.

View from the front of the grill.
You must be registered for see images

View from the top.
You must be registered for see images

These are from a 2005 Renegade without a tow group and without the offroad group. Just your plain Jane Libby with a trans cooler. I'm guessing it has become standard at some point to put the cooler in rather than add it with the tow group.

Couldn't get a decent pick of the PS cooler.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Didn't we clear this up a few YEARS ago? :)

The definitive answer is that you have both a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler.

No option packages have anything to do with those two coolers.

The tow package only gives you the mechanical fan and tow hitch.

What I'm NOT sure about is what year this all started. I believe it was 2004... My '04 DEFINITELY had both of the coolers and I did not have the tow package.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:
Just to clear some things up. The libbys with the 45rfe ******(2002), have a PS cooler, and a ****** cooler built into the main engine radiator(Aux ****** cooler with towing pack/Off-road pack,also an engine driven fan with the towing pack). When they went to the 42rle ******, they took the PS cooler away(Only comes on libbys with tow pack/offroad-pack) and gave you a ****** cooler. The engine driven fan only came with towing pack also.

You have the Off-Road group then, if you dont then something is going on that Idk about. I know you didnt have a gas tank skid, so maybe you do not have the offroad group, or did you take it off? Im fairly sure I was right about everything I said up top. Maybe something changed in 03 that IDk about? You told me you do not have 2 fans, right? IM GETTING CONFUSED!!

Nope, just one fan and no off-road group either. I believe they did away with the standard PS cooler on 04 and up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:

Nope, just one fan and no off-road group either. I believe they did away with the standard PS cooler on 04 and up.

Mine had it...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Didn't we clear this up a few YEARS ago? :)

The definitive answer is that you have both a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler.

No option packages have anything to do with those two coolers.

The tow package only gives you the mechanical fan and tow hitch.

What I'm NOT sure about is what year this all started. I believe it was 2004... My '04 DEFINITELY had both of the coolers and I did not have the tow package.

My 04 without towpack or offroad pack does not have the PS cooler, only the ****** cooler. I wish it had everything though. :-s When I bought it, I didnt know that it didnt come with extra cooling...

Latest posts

Members online