****** shop wants to put in "ATF3 + additive"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a local ****** shop (non-dealer) for a service quote to change the ****** fluid plus filters. I asked if they had ATF4 and the guy said he puts in ATF3 plus an additive that he says is "comparable" to ATF4. This guy certainly knows a heck of a lot more about trannies than me... however I'd really like to do what's right. Is ATF4 some boutique fluid bullsh*t or do I really need to put this stuff in? I'm in this Liberty for the long haul, would like to get 175k out of ****** etc., so it all needs to be right.

2003KJ

Reaction score
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!

If you want your ****** to last a while, put back in the type that was taken out. The book calls for ATF+4. so put ATF + 4 back in.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATF + 4 ONLY...........Nothing elce per DC....They say so ...They made it.....They warranty it ....and not the guy at the transmission shop who should know better...... ( or no warrenty if you put something elce in it and it starts acting funny)...............and you can now get it at Auto Zone or other auto parts places for half of what the stealerships charge.....

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
farwellbooth said:
I called a local ****** shop (non-dealer) for a service quote to change the ****** fluid plus filters. I asked if they had ATF4 and the guy said he puts in ATF3 plus an additive that he says is "comparable" to ATF4. This guy certainly knows a heck of a lot more about trannies than me... however I'd really like to do what's right. Is ATF4 some boutique fluid bullsh*t or do I really need to put this stuff in? I'm in this Liberty for the long haul, would like to get 175k out of ****** etc., so it all needs to be right.

I got a very similar answer from an transmission guy that I trust and has been rebuilding trannys for probably 20 years. So I'm sure he is correct. However, I would just probably go with the ATF 4 for piece of mind.

There always seems to be two lines on this issue anyways. About of half the people say it really doesnt matter and the other half that say it will blow up your transmission. I don't know who is correct, probably some merit to both points. You would really need to get down into the specific engineering details to figure out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pure and simple...DC says in the manual to use only ATF + 4 so since I'm no transmission guru ( and these guys might be correct about the atf + 3 + some other special additive or something )...Maby even ATF + 3 will work fine but DC made ATF + 4 so they could charge everyone 3X more or something......Who knows for sure...........All I know is tht if I use ATF + 4 that D/C told me to and there is a transmission lube issue and they won't warranteeee it they won't have a jeep to stand on in court.

Dave

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel that repair shop is lying to you. I remember reading somewhere if you put anything other than ATF4, you'll void the warranty for the transmission.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you know.....

Amsoil Universal ATF Will work and will beat ATF+4's butt in all testing.

Taken from Amsoil's site,
"The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturers warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumers transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk."

Don't let the manufacturer fool you into thinking you can't use other products that are better than what they engineered. Just be sure it meets or beats the specs and is warranted. The Magnuson-Moss act also covers these situations and it is up to the manufacturer/dealer to prove a failure was caused by use of another product or an extended service interval.....that hasn't happened yet in all these years Amsoil has been around.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you speak as if amsoil is god of all oils. i actualy have a true story for you. the dealership i work for has a valvoline quick lube building. somehow the manager was selling amsoil products for a little extra in their services(oil changes, transmission flushes, differential services etc.) funny it may seem that one month i had a rash of noisy rear differentials in kj's and wj's with trac-loc rears. so after thinking that it was just the season for that certain problem that jeeps develope. i had started noticing the repair history on the vehicles coming in for the same problems. they had all been at our quick lube. so i get to talking to the manager and find out if he's using 80w90 in vehicles that should have 75w140 or if he had not been using frict. mod. with these services. he proceeds to tell me that he'd been using amsoil in these differentials. and that amsoil states that this oil does not recomend friction modifier. well, i took his word for it and we still kept getting these noisy diffs. so eventually i go back and talk to the manager again. he connects me with his amsoil distributor. this guy swears you do not have to add frict. mod. with this synthetic differential fluid. finally i have a word w/my manager and tell him i think that this heavy hit of clutch pack problems is from the fluids that quick lube is using. needless to say, we are not selling or recomending amsoil anymore. and the differential problems are very few now. i know not everyone has had an experience like that, but i have my opinion of their
product. i personally use the factory recomended parts and fluids for my jeeps that i own and would'nt have it any other way. if you like your vehicles why would you use cheap replacements?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sprsonic...........Thanks, that is good to know. I always believe in using the factory recommended lubes as they are the ones that are warranteing your Jeep. That just reaffirms my belief.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is more than one type of Amsoil diff lube. I prefer to use the Severe Gear line. The Severe Gear line usually doesn't require the additive but Amsoil does offer it if you find your posi diff making noise. BTW, The diff lubes that Mopar/DC/Jeep use at their shops Require the additive to be added in posi diffs. My KJ posi diff has been working fine for many miles w/ the Severe Gear and no chatter from it. There isn't a fluid that Jeep recommends that Amsoil won't beat in any testing you can throw at it. Amsoil IS superior in all regards and they prove it all the time. I am only stating facts that come from independent testing and Amsoil.

Also, Amsoil offers a guide to tell you what lubes to use in any vehicle and it states: 2003 Liberty, for example.
Controlled Slip Differential, Rear 8 1/4.....GL-5
75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
Standard Differential, Rear 8 1/4.....GL-5
75W-90
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Standard Differential, Rear W/ Towing package.....GL-5
75W-140
Severe Gear 75W-140
SAE 80W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube

I would guess that maybe the wrong fluids were being used in the vehicles that were having problems?

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very possible that the wrong fluids were added, but when you have a supposed rep. of amsoil telling you that you dont need friction modifier in conjuction w/a clutch style rear differential just tells you what kind of people that company employs. and besides, how do you know you can believe this independent testing anyways? amsoil could be paying this company to tell the consumer what they want to hear. i personaly believe that you should use what the manufacturer specifies because they design the parts and do the testing on the vehicles themselves. and i know the manufacturer is not perfect, but i would rather take a chance with oem parts other than aftermarket. looking at your sig, seems like amsoil has you in their grips. do they give you freebies for preaching the good word of amsoil for them?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sprsonic said:
very possible that the wrong fluids were added, but when you have a supposed rep. of amsoil telling you that you dont need friction modifier in conjuction w/a clutch style rear differential just tells you what kind of people that company employs. and besides, how do you know you can believe this independent testing anyways? amsoil could be paying this company to tell the consumer what they want to hear. i personaly believe that you should use what the manufacturer specifies because they design the parts and do the testing on the vehicles themselves. and i know the manufacturer is not perfect, but i would rather take a chance with oem parts other than aftermarket. looking at your sig, seems like amsoil has you in their grips. do they give you freebies for preaching the good word of amsoil for them?

I am a dealer for Amsoil. I get paid for selling product the same way the owner of an auto parts store gets paid to sell a product. Just like any other situation, some people are better educated on their products than others.
Does your statement mean you only use factory fluids in your vehicles? Do you run all Mopar oils, filters, etc in your Jeep or other Mopar vehicles?
Aftermarket lubes is big business and subject to scrutiny by government watchdogs. Amsoil products have to meet the same testing standards that other aftermarket oil products meet. They are also watched by the Federal trade commission for false advertising just like others. Their products are well respected in many industries as being the best lube products on the market that Exceed the government required testing standards. I am not here to change Your mind, just educate those that want to be on what products are best. The labs that test Amsoil products also test other products so I suppose Any of those companies could be paying them for better results but I seriously doubt it. What do they have to gain from producing lubes that fail in real world testing? (which there is a lot of going on) If you would like any specific info on Amsoil products, please PM me. Thanks!

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most certainly do run all mopar fluids and filters in my jeeps. also run all motorcraft fluids and filters in my mustang. and no thanks on the info.