****** fluid pouring out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amy

Reaction score
So last week I started my o4 Jeep Liberty so it could warm up while I finished getting ready for work. I went outside to leave and there was a puddle of transmission fluid. So a friend told me that one of my cooler lines probably broke. He came over showed me which one was broke. Then today I went to advance got the hose that I needed and replaced it. I put 1 quart of ****** fluid in so far I don't see it leaking anywhere. I've got three more quarts that I can put in. I'm just kind of nervous as to why this happened in the first place. And I am just learning how to fix things on my own so I really I'm hoping this fixed my problem. Just wondering if there is something else I should do to prevent this from happening again. Any advice you can give this girl would be great

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
All will be well, just don't overfill the transmission.
Let the Jeep heat up after driving around for 20 minutes, and take a dip stick reading, running in Park.
Only add ATF+4 fluid if it is below the full mark.

Reactions: Amy

Amy

Reaction score
Well by the time I got the line changed it was completely dry on the dipstick. And yes I got the ATF + 4 ****** fluid to put in it. But I will let it warm up a little bit and do another dipstick reading to see how much is in there or what I need to add to it. Thank you

Amy

Reaction score
Also any ideas on what could have caused this problem to begin with? And beings I am a beginner on learning to fix my own vehicles I do a lot of Googling and youtubing LOL. And the only thing I was Finding was my transmission was overheating. But all my gauges and temperature inside seem to have been working and was reading fine. I just would like to try to avoid this happening again if possible

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh if it is that low on dipstick add a quart at a time to get some fluid showing at least half way on the dipstick, before driving may be the best idea.
As the fluid heats up it will expand further, and check again once hot.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess rust. The metal lines (gas,trans,brake,etc.) get rusty and will eventually break or get a hole in them. If it was a hose part, they will get weak over time and can get a hole in them.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the transmission cooler lines on my '05 this weekend. It wasn't the most fun job I've done, and I've replaced the transmission on this Libby. Mine were leaking from everywhere - the metal lines, the rubber flex hoses and the crimps between the two.

My '05 spent the first 8 years of its life in Michigan, so the underside was pretty rusty when I got it, and the trans cooler lines were pretty bad then. Took another 6 years for them to fail, however. My husband's cousin had the lines on his '07 fail earlier this summer, and he just replaced the leaking areas with oil-safe hoses and double clamps.

Amy

Reaction score
Update....... So I replaced the trannsmison cooler rubber hose line and put two clamps on each end. I added ATF + 4 ****** fluid, 3 quarts of it and took it for a drive ran around for about an hour and it ran great!!! It didn't overheat didn't find any leaking anywhere. I want to thank you all for your replies. This girl is so excited that I fixed this problem all on my own. Even though it wasn't that hard to do. The point is I tried and I succeeded!!!! I was so worried that it was going to be the end of my jeep that I just bought a month ago.
Any tips on what I can do to prevent some rust from the salt on these Pennsylvania roads LOL?

Now my next project I am going to start looking into automatic remote starter for it. Any recommendations?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear all is well and that you completed this job successfully on your own!
Rust ya eek..Salt *****! My jeep got the "platinum shield" undercoating when it was like new.
You must be registered for see images attach

How much rust is on the underbody of your's currently?
In the winter it is difficult to keep the jeep clean, but using a hand power wash bay can really help.
POR15 can be applied, but I keep mine up to speed and do touch up's now with Rustolieum spay paint.

Keep the rear back braking plates clean, mine was starting to rust though.

Some may use an oil coating, but feel free to call around and get some estimates, for corrosion protection.
A remote starter is not for me.
I know it is wiring invasive and unless everything is soldered/ heat shrink tubed, it could have issues.
I'd rather just warm/ fire it up myself, and clear the snow from jeep, then drive.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets a continuous undercoat of gear oil from the front cv axle seals leaking. As soon as I fix those...it'll probably rust away. Except for the rockers, those will still be there when there's nothing left of the rest of the Jeep.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets a continuous undercoat of gear oil from the front cv axle seals leaking. As soon as I fix those...it'll probably rust away. Except for the rockers, those will still be there when there's nothing left of the rest of the Jeep.

Schgsd

Reaction score
The shop I work at does undercoating as part of it's service line and we use Fluid Film. It's good stuff. Spray it on the rubber of an exhaust hanger to get it free. Hit the linkage on your ****** or transfer case with it too. We also coat the fittings on brake lines with it. Squeaky door hinges? Yup, Fluid Film.

Last edited:

Amy

Reaction score
Alright. Thanks everyone. I'll definitely get some picked up & put on it.

Latest posts

Members online